Ivy Mound photos

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chinquest, Aug 24, 2008.

1. chinquest

chinquest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my Ivy mound which I think covers a tree stump
    [​IMG]

Last week I delved deep and this week it shows :eek:
    [​IMG]

I thought maybe I could go and cut out all the dead branches underneath the live, but, as everyone but me probably knows :rolleyes: the dead looking branches (?) lead to the leaves.

I find the younger smaller leaves attractive I was going to chop off the straggly bits but found something was happening (flowering maybe?)

Any ideas how I tidy it up?I've removed all sections that dared to attach themselves to the wall.

I could also do with some advice on tools I must have now, I have second hand tools organised for when I move in. I did buy two pairs of secateurs have lost one already and the remaining one isn't up to cutting anything very thick.

I have fanciful ideas of trying to make a planter out of the tree trunk but even if possible it can't happen for a few years yet.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Pull some of the younger shoots through the bare area. it will soon cover the hole itself.

As for tools, basics would be a hand trowel, fork/ spade, pruning saw, possibly loppers and some good secatuers

For saceturs if you can afford them get Felcos, if not then wolf or bacho.

3. chinquest

chinquest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll visit the garden centre before I attack the garden tomorrow :)