Ivy removal advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by luke_arnold, Jun 29, 2011.

1. luke_arnold

luke_arnold Apprentice Gardener

Recruitment
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is in the right section. I did a search for a previous thread and couldn't find one.

I have a Ivy problem, its completly covered a brick coloumn that supports our garagage balcany and the bricks are now coming loose and its causing alot of harm and therefor i want it gone.

Any advise how i approach this task and tips on how i can kill it off so the problem doesn't return? Its growing all over the outside walls of the house too and i will be takling this too.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,883
    Very careful removal by hand is one way to go. The bad news is that as a clinging ivy, it will likely take more brickwork with it if you do it while the ivy is alive. How big is the plant? If possible, cut off near the base and dig up the roots and wait for the stuff on the wall to die a bit; that should reduce amount of damage done to wall, but you're definitely going to lose a bit of mortar along the way.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Luke,

Ivy will turn aggressive if its roots are cut, it'll form ariel roots and penetrate the masonry in search of food and water.

We had one on Clarendon Palace that refused to die, there were absolutly no roots touching the ground but it still hung on for a year, despite what we sprayed it with.

Ended up putting a scaffold up & had to rebuild the masonry at the top, it had got right into the core of the wall:DOH:

4. Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Bill the landlord of the Anchor and Hope pub in sals had this happen, he had a large ivy at the back in the beer garden, he cut it in the winter at the base thinking it would die and drop off, it was to the top of the chimney and under some of the slates, he ended up cutting the ariel roots with a stanley knife and pulling it off in smaller sections, from where I was sitting it looked like hard work:heehee:

I would say cut it off with great care, repoint then wire brush the aeriel roots off, you might have to have a couple of goes at cleaning tho, its not just the roots left on the wall, there will be a whole eco system of green things growing:rolleyespink:

Plant Potty.:)