Ivy to cover a wall question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AmandaClareEmily, Apr 30, 2006.

1. AmandaClareEmily

AmandaClareEmily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Behind our garden fence there is a sort of overgrown no mans land (which I try to cut back as best I can) and behind that is a concrete wall with a wooden station fence on top of it. From our garden level to the top of the station fence is about 15 ft. I want to cover the wall and station fence. I originally grew Virginia Creeper up them which looked great for about 5 months of the year, but for the rest of the year with no leaves it didn't help at all. I decided I needed an evergreen climber and picked ivy. I know ivy can be a pest but I think it is attractive and don't mind if it gets overgrown as the no mans land is already overgrown.

I noticed there was some climbing ivy climbing a fence in another part of the no mans land, so I took a cutting today, used rooting hormone and planted it under a garden cloche to get it started. I don't know the variety of ivy but I think it's the sort you see growing wild all over the place, climbing fences and walls. I've often seen it at the side of roads and railway lines.

My question is would this sort of ivy be able to cover a concrete wall with fence on top a total of 15 ft high and approx 20 ft wide? If so roughly how long should this take? The Virginia Creeper was really quick and i think reached the top of the wall over one Summer but not sure if ivy climbs as vigorously.

Thank you
    Amanda

[ 30. April 2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: AmandaClareEmily ]

2. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cultivars are not as fast as wild ivy which is pretty quick.

I wouldn't take cuttings. Just look arouns and you will find bits that have hit the ground and started to root. This will give it a head start.

3. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Think I have been going at this the long way round. Will look around for some rooted bits tomorrow.

Thank you

Amanda

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If it is a wild common Ivey I would not encourage it, I dig it out as a weed all over the place and it can be a real nuisance. there are loads of lovely iveys to do the job much better.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have both common green ivy and the cultivated variegated ivys. The common green is very fast in growth and should cover the area you want quite quickly - its not too bad to keep in check - but the birds eat its fruit - as well as loving ivy for ness, so watch for self sown seedlings.

6. AmandaClareEmily

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies!

Amanda