JAMIE OLIVER ADS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rosa, Dec 22, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    went to sainsburys today for that lovely chilli and cranberry dip that is advertised on telly, guess what got none, staff never heard of it, half their shelves were bare, people were asking for jamies shakers, guess what ,got none.very dissapointed, the assisant told me they are waiting for stocks arriving on a flight, said to him were from lapland. looking for a roulade got none of them either, looked for eggs shelves quite bare, really annoying right before xmas, you would think all their shelves should be stocked up all the time, never again and sainsburys are very expensive, will stick with asda and morrisons in future. they dont run out.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    That's awful, Rosa. As you said, they should be fairly stocked. Our shops are fine. Lidl had eggs (large) for 29c (21p) a half dozen this week and they are "nice" eggs, lovely yellow yolks!

Chilly and cranberry dip sounds yummy, if you can get it. Guess you could buy a bottle of cranberry sauce and mix in some chilli. I've seen those shakers on the TV, interesting!

Stick with Asda, it was always my favourite but unfortunately they don't have one of the IoW ... not that that matters to me any more! :(

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Managed to get everything from Tesco's today apart from a turkey breast but that was my son's fault for not telling me sooner that he was coming for Christmas dinner!!

So he has a chicken breast instead...

Hubby and I are veggies ;)

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    everywere else is stocked up but sainsburys near me, the assisant told me a larger store may sell the dip, havnt got another one near me that i am aware of and i am not driving and hour to another one.
    got a pack of dips there is a red dip in one of them going to add a bit of cranberry to it to sweeten it up.
    love your avatar LoL

5. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    rosa i asked a boy in morrisons today
    where they kept sweetex he asked what is it?
    oh to be 17 and skinny my husband had a good laugh [​IMG] kathy3

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Hi, Kathy3!

I may not drink wine (stupid example) but if I worked in a store I would assume I knew where it was! Sweetex has been since before this kid for goodness sakes. He's not interested in his job ... it's the �£�£�£s that he's interested in and if he continues in this fashion, he isn't going to have much later in life.

Well, that's my opinion!

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    rosa ..you will have your dip here is jamie olivers recipe.. :D

Jamie's twist, serves 6-8:
    100g caster sugar
    500g fresh or frozen defrosted Cranberries
    100ml port
    1/2 a dried chilli crumbled
    Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange

My sauce brings the house down�
    Put a saucepan on a medium heat and add the caster sugar. When the sugar starts to brown slightly, add the cranberries, port, cinnamon stick and the zest and juice of an orange. Simmer until the cranberries have broken open, the juice has boiled down slightly and the cranberries look glossy and jammy. Remove from the heat, put to one side to cool and add a daring pinch of chilli. Then serve as a sauce or a dip for chipolatas wrapped in bacon.

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    its unbelievable, I have never used sweetex but i know what is is, did you not burst out in laughter kathy3.
    but can you believe someone working in sainsburys and their major advert with jamie oliver advertising their products and he didnt know what i was talking about, he said if he sees it will try it out for himself :D :D

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thank you wildflower just love you for that, do hope i can get the cranberries at my local coop tommorow and i have all other ingredients indoors.cheers for that [​IMG]

10. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rosa..you are welcome all jamie oliver recipes are on sainsburys web site to print off..The cranberry dip is exactly the same as the one they sell except its probably fresher to make it yourself..

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Probably the shortages are caused by the fog we have had for the last 3 days or so lots of planes not coming in road transport way behind thats the problem with "just in time" method of ordering it does not make allowances

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I enjoyed reading this thread! LoL, I love your avatar too - it's soooo sweet!

As for the boy in Morrisons, maybe he was a holiday temp. And I find kids these days extraordinarily ignorant of things in general. We had 16yr olds come to start work as probationers (in the op theatre, for goodness sake!!!) and was often flabberghasted at their lack of knowledge of very common stuff.

I also did my shop yesterday in Asda which was pretty well stocked except for a few items - like parsnips. But a few yards along the aisle, I spotted a girl pulling a truck with a box of 'nips on top so I turned round and followed her like a puppy after a bone! I got what I wanted and by the time I'd tied the bag, put it in my trolley and extricated myself from the mellee, I looked back and the box was almost empty! About 2 minutes flat!

Then I had to go to the checkout - and our Asda is one of the bigger ones - the queue stretched back a third of the way down the aisles! It was about �½hr before I got to the checkout!

I popped into Sainsbury's after and found it wasn't even as bad as a average Saturday! I'd bought a box of precooked chestnuts earlier and when I opened it, found a long hair! [​IMG] So I returned it - they gave me my money back which should have been Ã?£1.54 but they gave me Ã?£2 and a Ã?£10 voucher!! Not bad eh?

13. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    now thats what i call good christmas
    spirit,well done to you michaelmasdaisy, happy xmas kathy3 [​IMG]

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Too true, MMD! You can understand why some people try it on... Horrible to find things like that in your food! [​IMG]