Jamieson brothers

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Ynnead, May 11, 2024.

1. Ynnead

Ynnead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I ordered some seed compost of their website today a bit foolishly I guess as I'd never heard of them before. Anyone had any experience of using them? Reviews on trust pilot seem ok apart from 3 negative ones.

2. Ynnead

Ratings:
    +6
    Just an update. Compost arrived and seems ok. Bit of woody fibres but will see if my seeds germinate without rotting.
    I don't know if I should start a new thread but anyone got a guide to make your own seed compost?
    Ideally one which doesn't make soaked seeds rot or stops fungus growing in compost.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    I've been using last year's spent compost for seed sowing. Mixed with about 30% garden soil from my veg patch then double bagged and microwaved for 2 to 3 minutes. I make just enough, around 1kg each time.

Microwaving kills off any soil pest and weed seedlings, the compost needs to be damp.

Spent compost came from the pots I grew chillies in last year. So for sowing chillies I used spent compost from potatoes in containers.

I've had good germination. Then I might feed the seedlings if they look weak or yellow, I use half dose of Miraclegro once a fortnight till they get to the pricking out stage.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: May 17, 2024
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,199
      I think the first thing to do if there's woody material is - sieve it. Most seeds will be happier in a finer mix, although there are always plenty of exceptions.
      It can be difficult getting the water levels right though. I often use spent compost from the pots of annuals from the previous year, as it's less nutritious, but easy enough re the watering.
      Another alternative is just to mix something like grit or Perlite through the compost, so that the drainage is nice and sharp. Once you get to the pricking out stage, the mix can be more easily made to suit the type of plant. If you have reasonable garden soil you can also try sieving some of that and mixing it with the compost as well as grit/Perlite if drainage needs to be good.
      Seed generally doesn't need much help to germinate, especially at this time of year. For autumn sowing, a mix with low levels of nutrients is better, just to avoid too much soft growth which can then struggle to stay healthy.
      A lot of composts are so variable nowadays, so I think lots of people are making up their own mixes :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,899
        I use used compost with coarse sand from builders merchants or diy stores. rinse the sand if you want to, but I've never found the need. I prick out seedlings into a fresh compost and sand mix.
        I don't go for all this horticultural grit/sand/second mortgage stuff, I use what I can afford....the seeds aren't normally in the starting mix for too long

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Ynnead

Ratings:
          +6
          No microwave unfortunately. Well already noticed signs of fungus on surface of compost in propagator and some seeds. Guess most will just rot.
          Any point in removing seeds and just putting in some drier seeds compost?
          I do have old compost but it's been mixed with soil from wormery so loads of tiny insects in.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +48,690
          Sounds like your compost is too soggy. What seeds are they?

• Ynnead

Ratings:
          +6
          Erythrina livingstoni( Livingstone's coral tree). I only watered from.below so thought it would be fine. Had to soak seeds for 24hrs before sowing.
          Should I remove seeds and put fresh unwatered compost or no point?

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,148
          Would suggest you tip it all out on a sheet of cardboard, spread it out and let the air/sun dry it for a few hours. You may be able to spot the (red?) seeds to re-sow then keep damp. A dusting of sulphur dust should not hurt, as fungicide.

• Like Like x 1
          • Ynnead

Ratings:
            +6
            Yes the seeds are red. I did as you suggested and changed the compost. Will see if any germinate. Thanks for everyone's help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,199
              Fingers crossed that will work for you @Ynnead. I have no knowledge of the plant you're growing, and that's also where it can be difficult to advise, but most seed needs very little help to germinate other than the correct temps and light, and that isn't always high temps and lots of light.
              I've never microwaved old compost, or put it in the oven, as I recall someone once mentioned. I can just imagine my daughters' reaction if they found me doing that. Immediate phone call to the nearest old people's home!
              Drying out the compost/mix as described should certainly help. Then you can go from there.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +91,679
                I've grown Erythrina crista galli from seed on a few occasions.
                Fresh seeds germinate fairly easily at around 25c.
                As for compost I just use multi purpose straight from the bag, potting on after germination I usually add some JI compost and peat free with sharp sand in equal quantities.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +48,690
                  :smile: