Japanese flowering cherry

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Whiley, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to make sure i can look after my Japanese flowering cherry correctly!

I've never looked after a tree before, what do i do? Heeh :D

Trimming? De-leafing? Watering?

What can i expect from it also?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Morning Whiley. I'd best give you a link on this:

Prunus

However, I've had one in my garden for years (my dad planted it 40 years ago) and apart from giving it some well rotted manure occasionally I've never pruned it or done anything. And every year for about 1 month it is a riot of colour. (Rest of the year it's pretty boring.) [​IMG]

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Most are perfectly hardy and don't need any looking after. Things you may have to watch out for if it's a grafted tree are suckers coming up below the graft bud, They'll sap the strenth of the tree and take over giving rampant growth but inferior flowers.

If the tree is exposed to high winds it's also a good idea to provide support for the tree by way of a solid stake and a flexible tie.

Otherwise just enjoy it and rake any leaves up off lawns and paths as they fall. If it produces cherries they are generally bitter and inedible but some birds love 'em.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    The only thing I ever do with trees is to prune off the lower branches as necessary.
    Trees grow from the top, not from the bottom
    If you don't prune off the lower branches you will get a bush instead of a tree [​IMG]
    (unless they fall off by themselves)

5. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah cheers lovelies!

He seems in pretty all right condition, just 'autumny', bit lifeless and droopy.

Many thanks for the links and the help guys, i'll have a lookit now.

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Do not prune it in winter. Any pruning should be done in spring after the buds break otherwise there is a danger that silver leaf disease will get in.
    On the whole they should not need pruning unless there is an out of place branch. Whatever you do don't lop off the end of branches like my neighbour does. His tree ends up like a green lollipop with a few flowers Ugh!

7. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ee nasty. No i'm happy with my cherry the way it is! Can't wait to see it in bloom!