Japanese flowering weeping cherry

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Katie61, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Katie61

Katie61 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Can anyone help me. I have a Japanese flowering weeping cherry tree which is about 6 feet tall. I've had it for about 15 years and it has always flowered. This year it didn't flower at all and the top half appears to have died off. There is, however, a branch about 1 foot off the ground which has healthy leaf growth. I have no idea what to do with it. Can anyone advise if it can be saved, and if so, what to do? Many thanks.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Sorry about your tree , lots of disease with cherry , bacterial canker being one of the worse I know , we have a lot of cherry trees in the park where I work and 3 of them that were in full flower last year and leaf have just totally died out this spring

With the branch at the bottom of the trunk this may be the original root stock so will be different to the original tree grown .

Sorry I cant be of more help but with your tree anything changed over the past 18 months ie digging out a new fence laying a patio , weed killer ?

Spruce

3. Katie61

Katie61 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spruce. There's nothing that's changed at all. I really don't want to dig it up as it's given me alot of pleasure over the years. I really hoped I could have saved it.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    We lost a cherry here purely due to the waterlogging last Summer ... just to add one possibility to your list :(

5. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Try this link if you haven't already done so. Report back with pics if possible.