Japanese Maple diseased?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by MaternalLove, Sep 5, 2007.

1. MaternalLove

MaternalLove Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Although my entire garden is generally crammed with edible stuff, I did plant a Japanese maple several years ago, so that I would have a waterfall of red leaves overhanging the drive. It has grown to about 2 metres, which is what I expected, but has started to look increasingly poorly over the last few months. Black patches surrounded by brown appear on the branches - it looks just like they have been scorched. Then the branch dies. Is this likely to be some kind of disease, or maybe a deficiency? Our soil is London clay.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Any chance of a photo? I think it could be 1 of 2 things either a condition called " dieback " which affects the ends of the branches or fireblight which affects everything. With dieback the disease gradually killing the affected branch. To control this you need to take out the damaged wood by cutting about 2" ( 5cm )beyond it into healthy wood. The other condition is a lot more serious, if the plant looks as if it has been in a fire then the chances are it is fireblight. If that is the case then you can try saving it by using the same treatment as for dieback but the odds are that you will have to dig the tree out and burn it to destroy the infection. If you can post a picture it will give me a better idea on how to help you. David.

3. MaternalLove

MaternalLove Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh, neither sounds that good! I have taken a couple of photos, but can't see how to post them......?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Basically, are the branches dying from the tips back towards the trunk? If so treat as dieback, and hope for the best. David.

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3