1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese maple trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Rachel hughes, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Rachel hughes

Rachel hughes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi....I recently brought two maple trees online, I was shocked they were sent to me not in pots of soil but just in a box they are really small baby's and only had a few leaves...... I've never had much luck with gardening but I planted them in good soil and gave them plenty of water....but all the leaves have shriveled up and I can see they are nearly dead ,should I have put them in small pots inside rather than out??they are only about 10 inch.......what do you think I'm doing wrong?? Any help would be great fully appreciated.

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Rachel

Were there no instructions with the plant when you ordered or bought them? First point of contact would generally be the supplier - you'll need to find out how they were grown. I wouldn't be too surprised about them losing their leaves - they're probably quite stressed and short of water. You've probably carried out good damage limitation in what you've done. See how they develop over the next few weeks. Stick them in a greenhouse or sunny windowsill to keep them protected and keep an eye on water levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I agree with HarmonyArb, although Japanese Maples do not like direct sunshine and are happier in light shade. They will also suffer from wind scorching so keep them in a sheltered position and, as HarmonyArb suggests, see how they fare over the next few weeks.

"Cultivation notes

Acer palmatum is a small deciduous tree, which has been in cultivation for over three hundred years in Japan. Sometimes called the mountain maple it is found at altitudes up to 1,100m (3,600ft). It is also indigenous to forested areas in Korea and China and as far south as Taiwan. The species can attain heights of 8-9m (26-30ft) in fifty years, depending on growing conditions, but most cultivars are small, slow-growing trees.

If your soil is slightly acidic, sandy, well-drained loam with a good amount of organic matter, then you have the perfect conditions to grow Japanese maples. Do not worry if you have not; most can be grown in other soils. However, they will not tolerate wet, dry or very alkaline conditions.

Japanese maples will grow best in a sheltered position. Red and purple leaved cultivars need some sun to develop fully their dark hues. Variegated Japanese maples need partial shade to prevent the afternoon sun from scorching the foliage. Green-leaved forms tolerate full sun, but are best in dappled shade as very bright conditions can sometimes cause scorch.

Most acers have shallow fibrous root systems that resent competition from other plants, so ensure that they are not too crowded.

For successful establishment, plant at the correct level and ensure that mulch does not come into contact with the collar.

Mulch every couple of years with well rotted garden compost or well-rotted manure.

Growing in containers
      Japanese maples are ideal plants for growing in containers. Plant in a loam-based compost, which allows good drainage and has a high percentage of organic matter, such as John Innes No 2 or John Innes Ericaceous.

Keep the compost evenly moist, but not soaking wet and feed in spring and early summer with a slow-release fertiliser or liquid feed.

Your maples will need repotting into a slightly bigger container every couple of years. April or September are ideal months to do this.

The roots of maples in pots are vulnerable to frost over winter, so wrap containers with a sheet of bubble wrap, held in place with garden twine.

Pruning and training

Acer palmatum is best pruned when fully dormant (November to January), as maples bleed sap from pruning cuts at other times, weakening the tree. However, pruning is still best kept to a minimum as the most graceful shape comes from a tree that has been allowed to develop fairly naturally. As a result, just remove badly-placed or crossing shoots to encourage a good framework of branches to form.

Where you do need to reduce height and width, follow long branches back to a side branch and pruning it out at this point. This is not necessary on prostrate-growing trees because they should be allowed to spread naturally to gain the best effect."

• Rachel hughes

Rachel hughes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi, I would really like your experienced advise as to how to turn these saplings around.....IG dug them up so I could put some root grow below the roots and I'm watering with miracle grow but should I pull of these old leaves off to hopefully let new ones grow or should I just leave it alone??

Attached Files:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Ouch, Rachel, they are looking very sad!! I would, very carefully take them out of that container and put them in a large pot to see how they get on, they're not known for being rapid growers so it will take some time for them to recover......if they do.:dunno:.
      Again, place them out of direct sunlight and in a sheltered area. I would remove the dead leaves as they're not doing the tree any good. As to whether or not new leaves will form will depend how far gone the tree is and whether or not there are some buds.:scratch::doh: They need time to recover so be patience and see what happens

• dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Im no expert by any means, but I have managed to grow several very small plants, like yours, just slightly fuller- better quality- the kind available in Homebase , to medium size trees, two to three feet canopy size, with quite thick trunk. Also, two medium size tree to quite large ones. I experience some problems with leaf scorch in late summer when sun is at its most powerful, but nothing very drastic.

My experience is that the plant is so small, it should have been placed in a very small pot in free draining soil, in a sheltered site for the first year at least. That pot is to large for the plant and it will remain very wet for long as there is not many roots or foliage. I would not not have fed it with something as strong as what you used, if at all.

No need to buy them online. Homebase sell a very good range, decent starter trees for very little money. I bought 11 over the years and each one has grown well. I think that plant, because of its size, was destined to fail. Plants online are a gamble as the seller can send something no one would consider in a garden centre.

Im no expert. If anyone thinks what I have said is incorrect, Im very glad to be corrected.

I hope your plants recover.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :)
        Protection from the strongest sun and winds is vital........taller plants on the exposed sides will enable acers to grow so much better.
        In my sunny coastal garden I grow acer dissectum purpureum well .....a sheltered corner with protection afforded by miscanthus variegatus to one side and a Philadelphus Aureus to the other. Plus the foliage contrasts all summer are as good as any flower combination I think.:)

• Like Like x 1