1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Maples

Discussion in 'Trees' started by dinp, Apr 13, 2017.

1. dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on caring for these trees in pots. I have several varieties of these in pots. Two were bought as decent size trees and have grown quite large in large pots. The others were bought as the £4 small trees and have now grown to medium size plants, about two feet wide. in smaller pots. They are 4 to 7 years old.

When i first bought them, I watered very sparingly as i heard they dont like to be over watered. I learnt, subsequently, that it was incorrect to just provide a small quantity of water. They still did ok ish, until late summers when there was some foliage burn. I further researched and increased watering and added sulphate of iron, seaweed feed and one application of bonemeal at the start of spring, as advised by a garden centre. They advised that the whole rootball should be made wet with excess draining away. Still there is some leaf burn every year which i remove. Not all the leaves burn.

I have been watering heavy until water seeps out of the pots nearly every week, sometimes more often when the summers have been hotter and less when cooler.

All these trees are in sheltered, as much as possible, positions but there is really no way to prevent a strong wind getting to them some how, to some extent. There is no way to prevent some hot sun during some of the time

Is this reasonably good care regime or is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Can this leaf burn be avoided or is some still going to occur?

Thank you kindly.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    @dinp
    I suspect that it is the wind causing the problems. Mine grow in the ground, but I always get some leaf burn due to the wind; worse when we have a cold easterly from the sea. The more finely divided the leaves are the more prone to wind burn they are. I think you may have to live with it unfortunately.

3. dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you. Reply is much appreciated.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,532
    its all about the variety, and there are so many of them, different zones etc. I love looking at the J. Maple info to find the unique that can handle my climate.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The secret is to water the roots NOT the plant. However, Acers do prefer a sheltered position.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Agree with Daitheplant, am sure my Acer died because the neighbour thought he was doing me a favour by often watering with a hose pipe sprinker from over head.

Am sure the leaves do not like cold tap water straight on them.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,354
      I can't help but our resident Acer expert is @whis4ey

This may get to him if he's around.

In the meantime, this is his website:-
      Home

• dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings: