Japanese painted fern trouble

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by adamadamant, Jun 1, 2024.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hello I bought three of these lovely ferns to put in a back corner where there is some sun, but it's not full on sun. They were tiny on purchase of course, but have put on barely any growth, and look very poorly. One is slightly further ahead than the other two and I have left it in the ground, but I dug up the other two (barely any root development) and put them in some leaf mould and compost in a quiet place in the greenhouse till they could come to their senses! Have I jumped the gun? I have never deliberately grown ferns before and I may be expecting too much too quickly. Can anyone help or advise please? Thank you

2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,443
    This variety does better in full shade and doesn't like to get very dry. If they get any sun, morning is better. Hot afternoon sun really does not suit them.

If I have a poorly one, I do as you have done. Pot it up, place it in cool shade, and give it time to recover. It may take 6-8 weeks.

I did have one of these inexplicably die over the winter, but generally ferns are good survivors, given shade and some moisture.

Fingers crossed yours picks up as they are lovely plants. :)

3. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you so much for the reassurance. it may be they are actually getting a wee bit too much sun in that particular spot, I will reconsider. Very grateful

• Like Like x 1