Japanese white rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Deano Gledson, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Deano Gledson

Deano Gledson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I have an exclusively container garden, quite a small space but not cramped, I usually grow fruit, Veg and herbs (can't wait to get planting again this year!) but while browsing seeds on the net I came across Japanese white roses and thought it might be interesting to try something different like that. Ive heard they are easy to grow and require low maintenance, does anyone have any advice for a novice gardener on these?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,810
    Hi Deano the only White rose I know of is this one used for hedging,but can I believe be used as a specimen shrub:)
    Rosa rugosa alba, sometimes called White Japanese Rose, is a white form of Rosa rugosa that is native to Japan and eastern Siberia. Is a vigorous growing shrub up to 6 feet in height and has pure white 4 inch scented flowers which are produced from June to September. It is actually one of the few species roses to re-bloom. Blooms are followed by large orange-red hips, many the size and color of cherry tomatoes. The hips are highly ornamental and persist on the plant well into winter, and may be used to make jelly, rose-hip syrup and even homemade wine. Like all Rugosas, these are widely recognized for their low maintenance, pest and disease resistance, fragrant blooms and extreme hardiness. These make wonderful hedges, look great in a mixed shrub border or grow them as a specimen plant. It is easy to see why Rosa rugosa alba is one of the highest rated roses by the American Rose Society:)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Deano Gledson

Deano Gledson Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the reply, hopefully I can get mine to look like the pic!

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,810
      Good evening Deano you are most welcome my friend:)

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      We had this growing at my other house and the scent from the flowers is outstanding!! Kind of put the HT's and floribundas in the shade somewhat!!

VAL