Japonica Pleniflora Kerria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bally, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was givin this plant by a friend, Just wondering if it is true that it is very vigorous and that its roots can travel a long distance ?? The word vigorous always scares me !!

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    It can be quite vigorous although it does die down in winter so it's not like it will take over =]

ps: I think you meant Kerria japonica 'pleniflora'

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Bally also known as "Jew's Mallow" very vigorous grows anywhere Suckers grow from its creeping roots,I have one In a border but I Have,nt found it to be to much of a problem:thumb:

[align=left][​IMG]
    [/align]

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I love Kerria. I have one in a sunny border which is just starting to fade with the flowers now. It brightens up my day whever I walk past it to the car.

I think they tend to grow only really as well as the space they are given allows. Mine has a small sunny spot and thrives and only needs the odd annual trim to keep it in check. I have another taken from splitting some of my mums which hasn't got much sun now as larger things have grown around it and it doesn't grow much or become invasive... which reminds me, I must relocate it to somewhere sunny!

Enjoy this lovely plant Bally :)

Kath.

5. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm finding researching this plant very difficult as growing conditions vary from one site to another !!!
    So it does best in full sun Cookie ?
    Is the plant self supporting or do I need to train it up fence or wall ?
    And how do I control the crawling suckers ? ( just cut them down to ground level ? )

6. Murdo

Murdo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mines is not in direct sun and does well. Flowering beautifully just now and not invading est of the garden. Nice cheery plant. :)

7. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Bally Don,t worry to much about the Suckers and Its a shrub ,Self supporting But can be trained on a trellis or Fence If you want It to :)Plant It where you want to Plant it and enjoy It:thumb::)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    The Keria is ok if you plant it so that its roots are restricted and is self supporting. Dig a big hole for a container and plantit in that the way you would with mint to keep that in check.
    Good luck.
    G.Man
    :)

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    This may help?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/harlowcarr/archive/harlowcarrpom04may.asp

My one in full sun does better - but apparently they can do ok in shade. My problem is that the shade practically obliterates any light from my other shrub, so I must move it somewhere somewhat brighter :)

One source says that full sun can bleach the flowers but I have not found that to be the case in spring in Devon.

10. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone it is a lovely plant and it shall be planted this week !!