Japonica Quince flowering in November?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cloverfairy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. cloverfairy

cloverfairy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and more of a 'fair weather' gardener, however, in the last few few months, we (me and hubby) have tried to make some effort at improving our garden and taking an interest by buying several new rose bushes (crossing fingers they'll grow!), lots of bulbs - some are coming through already - is that normal? :cnfs: My major query is related to some young Japonica Quince shrubs we planted in early Oct - they have flower buds growing on them! This can't be good for them, can it? Should we nip them off or just leave them?

The 3 plants are about 30 inches tall and nice and healthy otherwise. Thanks for any help regarding the flower buds :help:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think I'd leave them to it, its a pretty tough plant.

3. cloverfairy

cloverfairy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete :) They are all near the bottom of the plants so will prob drop off with frosts and cold, I expect, but we were concerned that it would prevent new growth/new flowers in the spring - we treat them a bit like children at the mo :o

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think you might find that they tend to bud up now and the flowers open in spring, but its been exceptionally mild lately so it wouldn't surprise me if the flowers were to continue to open until we get cold weather.

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Worry ye not! My japonica has both fruit and flowers, it does it every year, sometimes the flowers stay on (often covered in snow or frozen solid) and sometimes they just drop off - either way the plant seems quite happy and always gives me just enough fruit for a bit of jam.