Jasmine plant leaves

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Ben James, May 6, 2016.

1. Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
    +223
    Any ideas what might be causing this? It's not extensive, mainly in the middle to lower part, but no flowers have emerged yet and I'm worried it might affect it's virility.

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,536
    Whatever it is, Ben, it looks as though it's growing out of it. Have you sprayed weedkiller in that area recently? Or watered when there was strong sunshine on the plant? As long as the new growth is unaffected, everything will be fine:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
      +223
      Thanks noisette, I realise now that my picture isn't the best - apologies! I can confirm I haven't used weed killer there nor have I watered in full sunshine (it's actually North facing so doesn't get much/any full sunshine). A mystery but happy to confirm the new growth appears healthy.

One down side is it appears there is no flower growth this year - you can see the flower 'stalks' in my picture but no flowers on them... is this normal? I bought the plant last year so this is it's second year.

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +15,536
      Ah...I think the reason your plant isn't flowering is because it's in shade. Jasmine officianalis needs all the sun it can get to flower well in the UK. You could try giving it a high-potash feed e.g. tomato food, but ideally a sunny spot would suit it better:)

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
        +223
        Thanks again, yeah that could be it. I don't think it is an officinale (although I'm not sure). What a shame, but at least it explains why! It gives the opportunity to move it somewhere else, hopefully it might flower next year then. :)

• Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
        +223
        Just to add to this, I just did a bit of research and the species is definitely a Jasmine Polyanthum. Which apparently, as you say, doesn't do well in virtually no direct sun. I shall have move it and look for a suitable climbing plant replacement against that wall!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Ben,

If it is J. Polyanthum, you may want to move it as in the UK this one is grown as a houseplant. It probably survived this year as we've had such a mild Winter, but it's not totally frost - hardy.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Ben James

Ben James Gardener

Ratings:
            +223
            Wow, thanks Anthony, this is exactly the kind of reason I need gardening advice via this forum! :snork:

I bought it from Homebase and followed the advice on the label too... pesky Homebase. As you say, glad it survived at all! It's actually grown a large number of new tendrils since last year, just the flowers which appeared as pink buds never actually flowered.

We don't have a conservatory of sorts to keep it in, but I assume if I cut it back a bit, I could repot it and move in back indoors? (for example to a warm sun-soaked corner of the living room?). Or should I not cut it back now at all? Or just leave it, cut it back and move it in autumn?

• noisette47

Ratings:
            +15,536
            It depends how soon you want to get a replacement established:)

Honeysuckle (Lonicera) does reasonably well in shade as long as it's well-fed and watered.

• Informative Informative x 1