Jasmine plant losing flowers?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Scruffbag, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Scruffbag

Scruffbag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, we've just recently planted two Jasmine plants to climb trellis up the side of a new shed.
    Planted in a multi-purpose compost, all seemed well.
    But over the course of two weeks, the flowers appear to have been disappearing.
    Could something be eating them? Could we be overwatering the plant? Could it be ill?
    Also how often should you water a new Jasmine plant to help it settle in? My other half waters it every day if there hasn't been rain, but I think that's too much and could be the cause of the problem, but I haven't got a clue when it comes to gardening.
    I've ordered some food but my other half thinks that won't be needed as we've just planted in compost.
    Any hints, tip, suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Dan

2. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    If it's Jasmine officionale, that's what they do. My patio is covered in dropped flowers. I don't know about the other kinds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scruffbag

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you BB3, it's Trachelospermum jasminoides or Star Jasmine.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,613
      Oh I'm sure someone will be along to help you. I fancy getting one of those myself

• Like Like x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,779
        It is far better to water any new plant thoroughly, once a week, than to give it a dribble each day. This way you will encourage itto send its roots down deep so thay have better resistance to future dryness in any heatwave or drought. Tell your husband to lay off and, instead, give it one canfull each week and to stop once the autumn rain starts.

I have one of these I planted 3 years ago. It just sat there for the first 2 years. This year it has been covered in flowers so i would say patience is needed while it gets settled.

I'm also told that, once estbalisehd, they don't appreciate being coddled and flower better if not too well fed or watered. We've had such a wet winter and spring that I can't attest to how well it does when a bit dry but I didn't feed it this spring and I normally would. I don't know if that led to flowering or just the fact that the stems have matured enough to make flower buds.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Papi Jo

Papi Jo Gardener

Senior Lecturer in English (retired)
          Ratings:
          +424
          Not the best of times to plant a shrub/tree! And also it's not recommended to plant a shrub/tree when it's in flower. Never mind the flowers dropping, your specimen cannot at the same time cope with the plantation stress and producing flowers. Could you post a picture?
          I've had a Trachelospermum jasminoides in the garden for 10 years. It took a couple of years to really start growing and now it's huge and covered in flowers all through the summer. A lovely plant!

• Like Like x 2
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +5,144
            Where are you located @Scruffbag ? They don't do well round here, and in colder locations generally, especially very wet ones.
            I don't think they do well in containers either, unless they're deep enough to accommodate them well, so they'd be better in the ground, and MPC isn't ideal long term either. Are they in pots/containers?
            If they're larger plants, they could have benefited from cutting back a bit. I don't find it a problem to plant anything when in flower, but a plant with a lot of foliage, and/or flowers, can struggle to maintain it all as the roots haven't properly established, and the top wilts. Cutting back makes that easier at this time of year. :smile:

Yes - food isn't needed at this stage, especially if it's struggling. If you can post a picture, that will also help with accurate advice. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Scruffbag

Ratings:
              +1
              Thank you for your kind responses.

To answer some of your questions:
              1) We're in Birmingham, UK.
              2) They're planted directly in the soil a couple of weeks ago and had plenty of flowers.

I suspect that it may be my other half getting carried away with the watering can. I will have to impose a temporary ban on the watering can for her.

I hope they will recover.

I will share a photo taken just after planting and some from this afternoon.

Does anything eat the flowers?

Attached Files:

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,963
              They're relatively small plants, so maybe they're focusing on growing their roots out into the soil and not on flowers. That would be normal, although generally it's best to plant in spring or autumn so that plants aren't flowering at the same time. Don't worry about flowers this year, it's more important that they get well-established.

When you say that you planted in compost, did you mix it into the surrounding soil? If you planted into holes filled with just compost, the plants might not send their roots outside those holes. And depending on the compost, it might hold either too much or not enough moisture (I know, that sounds nuts but compost is very variable these days)

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1