Joind in the past, first post

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by philupnorth, Sep 11, 2022.

1. philupnorth

philupnorth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi everyone I'm Phil, I joined the forum at some point in the past but never got around to posting & thought I should introduce myself

In the past couple of years I have become enthusiastic with my front garden as although its small I have become proud with the outcome this year as I have grown almost everything from seeds

It was a bit of an experiment this year & I learnt quite a lot but I have plans for a different look next year & as I'm now part time I will do plenty of reading over the winter & I'm already looking forward to 2023

I did have a bit of a disaster with my dahlias as I didn't pay attention to how dry they got so they all looked dead but have started to sprout new shoots since the change in the weather so hopefully they will survive until next year. I have tried overwintering them in the past in my garage as I have grown them for some years but they all rotted so now I just leave them in the ground & they come back every year

The biggest change next year for me will be using a greenhouse, not a proper permanent one but one of Wilko's walk in ones which do seem more robust than others I have seen. This is because I have a very small back garden & I dont have the space for a proper one 20220702_163200.jpg 20220731_131230.jpg 20220731_131238.jpg 20220731_131248.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,164
      Welcome1.jpeg Phil, pleased you finally decided to speak up. :yay:

You have a lovely, colourful garden and have made the most with the space you have.

• philupnorth

philupnorth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +13
      Thank you for the lovely comment my garden was a work in progress this year as I added a couple of raised boarders during the spring & early summer & I ended op cramming it a bit with all the plants I grew as had too many even after I gave some to a retired neighbour so next year I have a better idea on how many seeds to start

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,782
        Welcome. it only took eight years. Maybe you felt you didn't have a lot to say.
        Like the silent order of monks.
        As per his oath of silence, a monk is only allowed to say two words every year.
        After his first year, he comes before the head abbot to speak his two words: “Better food.”
        The head abbot understands and obliges the monk, hiring a new chef and improving the food quality at the monastery.
        A year later, the monk appears to speak his next two words: “Warmer blankets.”
        The head abbot gets right on it and purchases new blankets for the monk.
        The next year, the monk appears once again for his annual two words: “I quit.”
        The head abbot replies, “Well, good! All you’ve done since you got here is complain.”

• Funny Funny x 3
        • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +91,667
          Good afternoon @philupnorth my friend and a warm welcome to Gardeners Corner:smile:

ddbd80e8d67573f90194d40eda293dac.jpg

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,995
          Welcome to the forum Phil

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          Welcome :) I confess that it confused the hell out of me earlier when I went to approve your account and saw the original joining date back in 2014 :heehee: Nice to have your company now though.

Your garden looks fantastic, it has to be said - despite a good early start with mine, it seemed to to over really quickly (thanks to the heat I think)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,893
          Welcome to Gardeners Corner Phil. :) Your gardens are lovely.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,381
          A beautiful garden @philupnorth and finally a very warm [​IMG]

I also grow everything in our garden from seed or cuttings. I love Dahlias too and added 7 more this year making it now 32 plants. I too leave them in the ground throughout the Winter and so far....:fingers crossed:....haven't lost any.