June Garden Colour

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    June is a gardeners delight - so much to chose from, and so many gardens to visit and gain inspiration. Tis a glorious month so here's some suggestions for June colour of the myriad available.

[​IMG]

Geranium Sanguinium - is a lovely mound forming geranium, and tolerant of almost all soil conditions - prefers a sunny site, but will grow in dappled shade. It self seeds freely, so you get your moneys worth

[​IMG]

this is perhaps my favourite of the geraniums, Ibericum, lovely grey green leaves - with a mass of blue flowers. Can run, but easily contained, and divides well. Tolerant of all but wet soils (though it grows well in my clay) and likes the sun.

[​IMG]

Astrantia Major - lovely perennial, quite vigorous, and spreads, but a beatuiful flower. Tolerant of most soils, but again likes sun. Cut back after flowering for a second flower display.

[​IMG]

June wouldn't be June without roses. The key to their success as I have learned is to spray with something like rose clear 2 weekly for the first 8 weeks as soon as the leaves appear. Keeps aphids and black spot at bay.

June is one of my favourite months.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Nice pictures Fran, especially that blue geranium.

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    [​IMG]
    Red hot poker, Kniphofia. Likes a moist sunny spot, grows easily. Probably can get a different type to flower in any of the summer months. Also comes in various sizes.
    [​IMG]
    Rhododendron Yakushimanum, stays small and flowers late, this ones over 12 yrs old and still less than 3 ft high.
    [​IMG]
    Alstroemeria, needs a hot spot, comes in various heights, not entirely hardy, needs a mulch in winter in cold areas.
    [​IMG]
    Incarvillea delavayi sometimes called hardy gloxinia, easy to grow in semi shade, likes a bit of moisture.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmmm, love that rhodie Pete. They don't do well here - I have hopes for the new one that is tolerant of less acid soils.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Thats the only one I've got, they dont really do well here either.