Just had a thought about my berries!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by samsoph, Apr 1, 2006.

1. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have just been thinking about my gooseberry and redcurrant plants that i've just planted. I have only one of each, do i need more than one for them to polinate, (or whatever is is they need to do to make berries) or is one of each ok for these type of plants?
    I'm such an amature:)
    Gill

2. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    One of each will be ok, but you may find that you will not get enough fruit off just one plant for your needs.
    what do you intend to do with the fruit?

3. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rossco,
    i'm not a great cook, so my main intention for the fruit is just to eat it, (i have been known to make an occaisional blackberry crumble but that is my limit,) as my plants have to be grown in pots, space is going to be limited, so if i can get by with one i would be happier,
    thanks for the reply
    gill

4. rossco

rossco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    gill,
    see how it goes with one of each, you may not get a lot of fruit this year, but when it's time to prune in the winter contact again for instructions on the way to prune them..
    HAPPY EATING

5. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rossco,
    thanks info re. new plants,
    this pruning buisiness has been bothering me, i really don't understand how to do it, it seems a bit scarey to me...i have 2 blueberry bushes, that i bought a year ago, and had a little fruit off them last year, and i didn't know if i should have pruned those at the end of last year too, so i just left them, i thought it better to be safe than sorry, they seem to be blooming really well this year already with loads of shoots and flowers coming already, but do the extra shoots come with the price of less berries? i think thats kind of the way it works.i hope you understand my waffling on...i will definatly be in contact the end of the year for some pruning tips..thankyou for the offer of help [​IMG]
    Gill

6. rossco

rossco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    re; your Blueberries, they fruit on 2-3 year oldwood, so this year they should produce some fruit.
    new bushes need little or no pruning for 2-3 years. After that just prune to ensure regular production of new shoots from the base by removing some of the oldest wood.
    your Gooseberries and Redcurrants should be ok till the autumn

7. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rossco,
    thanks for info on blueberries, at least i have a couple of years to learn my pruning skills before i let loose on my blueberries [​IMG]
    i will be back in autum for my master class,lol
    thanks again
    Gill

8. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    btw blueberries require acid growing conditions, so top up the pots with ericacious copmpost rather than normal [foliar feeds also available]

9. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Lady Gardener,
    i did plant them with ericaious compost, i haven't topped them up this year as i have them covered with chippings, do you think they will still need topping up? Also i have bought the proper feed for this type of plant (but unfortunatly watered them with the wrong type last week (doh) but did use rain water so i'm hopeing i haven't done too much damage [​IMG]
    Thanks for advice
    Gill x

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I don't think it will do any damage,it just won't do so much good!

11. samsoph

samsoph Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks Liz,
    should i try giving them the proper stuff now? how long do you think i should wait?
    Gill

12. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hello, is it true that blackcurrents and such like plain grass cuttings around base of plant?i have a Ben Sarek that i put in last year which is just beginning to bud.i bought it at a nursery for i think �£4.99 and another from wilkinsons for �£1.99 which isnt showing any signs of life.theyre both in same soil next to each other and planted around same time.

13. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt use grass clippings as a mulch my self , its better to use rotted compost or FYM, i believe pigeon manure to be good too

14. k3n

k3n Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gooseberries like woodash spread around the roots (if you happen to have an open fire or woodburner!) Also Limnanthes or poached egg plant makes a great companion - just direct sow seeds under the bushes in spring and in following years they should self-sow.

15. berry

berry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I have three blueberry plants in containers and I have read they should be fed with sulphate of ammonia, sulphate of potash and bonemeal in the spring. Is this important, or will ericaceous fertilizer be enough for them?
    [​IMG]