Just took delivery...

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by RocketDog, May 31, 2014.

1. RocketDog

RocketDog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    ...of a Fargesia 'Great Wall' hedge bundle from Scottish Bamboo. Good sized specimens too, bigger than I was expecting. At the moment they're curving/flopping over about half way up. I take it that's normal for young plants and they'll straighten up a bit as the canes thicken? Do I need to give them some support at this point?

2. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,236
    Depending on the species, some do bend over along the edges of the clump

Also, don't forget, it's probably been banged about a bit in transit.

If it's annoying you:
    I take some brown hessian type string, attach it to a stake/the fence at the back of the clump, and then very loosely tie the canes in a more upright position.
    Usually have to adjust it every summer as the bamboo throws up its annual growth.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    The canes don't really thicken - they mine if they are new culms this year? (In which case they will just be spears, with no leaves - or just-opening / developing leaves).

Thicker culms come in successive years as the plant matures.

Is that a bit of a floppy-top / droopy one anyway [once the weight of leaf starts to develop on the top of the canes)? Don't think that that means it will need coralling particularly (except perhaps in the first year) but it will use up some sideways width (hopefully not a problem?)

I expect its a clumping variety, but are you going to put down some root barrier? I read conflicting opinions, but some of them are that "All Bamboos run sooner, or later" ...

4. RocketDog

RocketDog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    It's supposed to be a well behaved variety, clump forming, not too tall, copes with thinning out and trimming if required and suitable for small gardens. I did a fair bit of research before choosing one because I know some grow and spread like mad!

The mature ones in pictures do arch/flop over a bit but because they are young plants the flopping is probably more pronounced because of the weight of the leaves on the thin canes. I'm guessing as it matures and produces thicker canes it'll be more upright. There's a fair gap between them for them to fill out.

Thanks! I might tie it to the fence this year for some support in the high winds then.

• Agree Agree x 1