Just witnessed insectidide!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Loofah, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    I was just out doing a little dead heading and there was a buzzing... turned around to see a wasp land on a hoverfly and slaughter it! I kid you not! Quite amazing the speed at which the hoverfly was dispatched too; small crunches as the wasp decapitated it and took off the wings etc. The wasp actually managed to fly off with it too. I had no idea that wasps even ate hoverflies! One more reason to hate the little nasties.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Gosh loofah, that must have been quite a sight. I have watched dragonflies slaughter insects, but not wasps.

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Its a cruel world out there.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Wasps have different feeding phases in their life cycle they start off feeding off nectar and energy foods,foods high in carbohydrates,as their young grubs develope the diet changes to a high protein diet, then they devour other insects caterpillars etc then in september it changes to sugars carbs again, this is when they become a nuisance feeding of rotting fruit they become intoxicated and the likelyhood of being stung is at its greatest.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Fickle little buggers aren't they lol

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I put a pepper plant that was covered in greenfly outside as I was fed up with it looking so miserable (and I didn't dare spray it with soapy water- tried that last year and all the leaves fell off!). Later in the day I passed it and it was covered in small wasps, all hoovering up the greenfly. It's now looking much healthier...and my opinion of wasps has been revised!

7. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah wasps eat little nasties too. I hate them and have been terrified of them for years, blacking out when i see one, but since doing more gardening I am slowly becoming less afraid. Although there were so many today at Falmer's Palmers that I was glad to get home