Keeping Carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul N, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Paul N

Paul N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody give me any tips on how to give my carrots some life when pulled. I try to only pull them when they are needed, but if I have to keep them they only last about a day before going soft.

2. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Paul.

This isn't a proper expert answer - and I've only been growing veggies this year so what gets pulled gets eaten straight away - but I buy a big box of cheapy carrots every week for my dog and they stay all week in the bottom of the fridge in a plastic bag into which I put lots of holes. If the inside of the bag gets too wet I swap the bag as I think the moisture turns the carrots quicker than anything.

And before you ask, I haven't grown enough this year for us and the dog as I was experimenting. Hopefully next year I'll have a proper plot and grow enough for all.

3. Paul N

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kryssy I'll give that a try.

Good Luck for next year !

4. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Paul. I'm just thinking about which area of grass to either dig up or cover to prepare for next year. [​IMG]

I was wondering if you pull the carrots and leave all the leaves on whether that would help keep them fresh too. Perhaps sprinkle some water on the leaves only so that they can absorb some moisture. What do you think :confused: :confused:

5. Paul N

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried leaving the leaves on and that didn't seem to make a difference, I think I'll try the fridge approach next.

This is my first year, I dug up a patch about 3mx3m which was small enough not to take over the garden and big enough to manage, and started with the basics, carrots, potatoes, peas, onions, lettuce. The only problem I have had is with peas which haven't been too successfull.

I think next year I'll use pots as well which will give more space and are nice and managable.

[​IMG]

6. Barndym

Barndym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest you dont pull them until required, straight from garden to cooker via the kitchen sink
    You can't get fresher than that

Rab

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I totally agree with you Rab. David.

8. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
  9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi again..just found this.It relates to making a clamp for potatoes,but i`m pretty sure it will be the same for carrots "Alternately, if your climate is wintry yet mild, potatoes can be stored outdoors in a traditional garden 'structure', the clamp. This is built using a good bed of straw to about 12" deep placed in a sheltered spot in the garden. On top of the prepared bed pile the vegetables in a tidy heap and then cover with a second layer of straw, again about 12" deep. This entire mound should then be covered with earth about 6" deep." Cheers..freddy.

10. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I've put my potatoes in a strong brown paper bag in the shed and they're fine in there.

I only had ONE carrot, and it wasn't that big. I split it in half to go with our dinner, it did taste nice and earthy.