Keeping montbretia and mint in check

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mander, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Mander

Mander Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few bits of montbretia and mint in containers. I'd like to put them in something larger this year, and maybe use them to disguise an ugly retaining wall in my front garden. But, I know that both plants are notorious for spreading all over the place.

I have read that you can plant them in pots sunk into the ground to keep them from taking over, but I'm not clear on a couple of things. First, how deep does the pot need to be? Would having a pot keep too much water in the soil and drown the plant? Our front garden is pretty heavy soil and doesn't really drain that well, so this could be an issue. Second, I wonder if plastic 2-liter bottles with the top and bottom cut off could be used instead of terra cotta pots. I'm envisioning this as a plastic sleeve about 8 inches deep, with an open bottom. Or would the runners be able to "escape" from underneath the bottles and spread out anyway? Would the plastic break down too quickly to make this worthwhile?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Mander.. Well I wouldn't cut the bottoms of the bottles for the mint, but collars for the Montbretia would be fine... I have mint in a bucket sunk into the ground.. I keep the top level with the soil so can see if any stems lie down & root, I pull them up straight away & only small drainage holes in the bottom because otherwise the roots escape.. I put a good layer of stones in the bottom of the hole 1st for good drainage & it romps away.. I think & i re- do the bucket about every 5 yrs & start again..! As for Monbretia I would do the same or plastic collers around them sunk into the ground as they double up by the corms near the surface.. This is how I keep my clumps in check anyway... :wink::thmb: