1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

keeping the pests out: boundary protection idea

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Clare G, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
    +350
    Just wanted to share something that seems to be working for me - I've created a new thread rather than adding to @Fat Controller's Fox thread because it was created to deal with a cat problem rather than foxes. (Actually I think it might well work for foxes, too, but I haven't had a problem with those since my old greyhound - predecessor to the one in my signature - chased one out of the garden, biting it on the bottom as it leapt the fence. I guess the word got round!)

Anyway - there is a corner behind the shed where my garden adjoins three others. The trellis runs out and although the fence is still six feet tall, it was a regular route in and down for neighbours' cats, especially with a compost dalek below. I really don't want Ken chasing those, so first I tried adding a bit of clematis netting to the top of the fence, so that it wobbled around a bit if touched. That did help but we still had some regulars coming in.

So I have now rigged up a plastic line across the space, and hung it with windspinners made out of old aluminium drinks cans. These move easily, rustle and tinkle gently and look quite pretty I think with all their different designs. At first they kept getting tangled up, so then I fixed the ringpulls on the line and that keeps them apart. So far it has been working - no more cats. Fingers crossed!
    001.JPG
    003.JPG

The windspinners were easy to make - you just need some aluminium drinks cans, a knife and a pair of scissors. Lots of instructions on the web, eg here:

With mine as I was fixing them to a line rather than a stick I just cut them into shape and then stabbed a hole through the centre with a bradawl.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +29,054
      Nifty idea @Clare G :thumbsup:

Have all the cats stopped visiting now?

• Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
      +350
      So far so good @"M" - mind you cats are canny beasts so it may just be that they are staying at home by the fire during this cold weather!

• Funny Funny x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Gardener

Ratings:
        +510
        Hi,

With having Ken around does limit your options, but if he cold get used to one, then these devices do work, though it could also act as a play thing for him :smile:
        Never had any signs of cats in my back garden since fitting one, and we have way too many around here !
        Though the pir and water jet only covers a smallish area they thankfully seem to keep out of all the back garden.
        About £20 on the usual sites.

Biggest problem with them, soggy bottoms when we forget its there !:snorky:

000521.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
          +350
          That's useful to know - thank you @ricky101. A friend found an ultrasonic device that worked well, too - so long as she remembered to change the batteries before they ran out!

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII ADMINISTRATOR Staff Member

Semi-retired
            Ratings:
            +44,683
            Oh, B&*$"............so you're not supposed to throw it at the Pest?:scratch::doh::wallbanging::hate-shocked:

• Funny Funny x 4
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Gardener

Ratings:
              +983
              @Clare G What a good idea. I couldn't use it, as my own cat is quite timid and it would keep him out! Might pass the info to my neighbour, who is a bird watcher and doesn't much like my cat in his garden.

Nice to see you have Scotland's national drink on display - Buckfast Irn Bru!

• Like Like x 3
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +29,054
                :rolleyes: No! :nonofinger: You're meant to strap it to its back so you can *track* it ;) :whistle: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
                  +350
                  I must confess I've never tried it! The cans were all picked up in the park/ streets round here, in wombling style - and I couldn't resist the Irn Bru, it was such a nice bright orange. Maybe what I need next is this ... something I would be prepared to buy and drink myself! [​IMG]

Ken says: :thanks: No more pesky cats!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Irmemac

Irmemac Gardener

Ratings:
                    +983
                    Not very sure you'd want to. Filled with sugar and very sweet-tasting. I like the sugar free version, but very few people do. Now beer... bleurgh!

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                      Ratings:
                      +2,852
                      In the past I've had ultrasonic devices and they worked pretty well but replacing batteries was expensive. I've recently invested in a pair of solar powered ones and they are working very well and at around £20 for the pair I reckon they were worth it.
                      In one remote corner of our garden there's a wall where cats jump down from so whenever I trim our holly bushes I scatter some of the leaves there and it seems to work.

• Like Like x 1