killing my garden help b4 hubby goes wild

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by welsh_, Mar 21, 2011.

1. welsh_

welsh_ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    he is going to use deosan red label hypochlorite on it then he going to plant seeds when its all dead can he do this ? help fast please

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Seems a bit silly to me as deosan is a bactericide and in essence chlorine bleach. Killing off the bacteria in the soil isn't a good way to go as the bacteria perform useful functions in breaking down vegetable matter and making it available to feed plants.
    If you OH wants to get rid of weeds in a bed that is to be used for planting seeds he'd be far better using a contact weed killer, systemic or otherwise.
    I've my doubts if his idea will work anyway as weed seeds will be fairly deep in the soil and the deosan will be pretty dilute by the time it contacts the weed seeds.

One further thought - it's probably illegal as the product is most likely to be registered only as a bactericide.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I wouldn't do that. It sounds pretty similar to other bizarre advice I've received in the past (not from anyone on here), including chucking creosote all over the garden to kill everything (which would also stop anything else growing there) and once I was advised to spray diesel all over a weed infested garden, allow it time to soak in, then torch it.

Best to use something designed for the job. I like RoundUp (or another glyphosate based systemic weedkiller). It kills any plant, but then when it comes into contact with the soil, the resident microbes quickly break it down into harmless starch.

There will still be weed seeds in the ground though, so repeat treatments may be necessary, either that or the old way of hand picking weed seedlings as they appear.

One other thing, if you use any chemical, you should always read the label and follow all the warnings. They are not there to be beaurocratic, they are there to stop mishaps (including run ins with the law). For example, I've just suggested a glyphosate based weedkiller, but if you are near a watercourse, then you might not be able to use it (glyphosate is harmful to aquatic life).