1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Kilmarnock Weeping Willow question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Speedbird1, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all,
    I have one of the above and have had it 10 years or more, it is a fine looking thing about 5 ft tall with a 'falling domb' of branches of about 5-6 ft diameter.
    It is nearly all died back for the winter at the moment. Question is can i move it? it is too near the drive so i brush past it whenever i get out of the car, i need it moving about a yard further away.
    What would be the best way and when would be the best time if it is at all possible?
    Now, I will leave it where it is if I am going to risk damage so please be free with advice.
    Thank you very much.
    Mike

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would hate to tell you to go ahead in case something happened but I have spent my life giving all manner of trees and shrubs a ride in the wheelbarrow in November and never had a failure yet. You need to make sure you get most of the root ball undisturbed but willows have a huge root system don't they? You need a huge hole ready for it too with plenty of compost/ organic matter in it. Trim the branches back by about a third to allow for the roots re-establishing themselves. It's going to be a big heavy job so you really need an assistant. You will need to stake it well for a while until it re-establishes itself. I have always just cut off the big tap roots as it is impossible to get them all. Too deep. They grow fairly quickly again.

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My least favourite tree/shrub, there's nothing nice about these things

Dig it out and plant something nicer!... anything!

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Speedbird these lovely small trees (Salix-Caprea -Pendula) really don't like being moved and especially at 10 years old ,I personally would advise against it unless you are prepared to lose it:) But if you have to ,then take Rhyleysgranny's sound and excellent advice:)

5. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I take it you prefer Oak's then Quercus:)

6. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted a young Kilmarnock Willow last year, how and when is a good time to prune it . I would like to keep the plant as narrow as possible and reduce the spread, is this possible ?Hope you dont mind me adding a question to this thread Speedboat.

7. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Speedbird1,

Moving a tree is probably one of the things you want to do when you have run out of all other options - it stresses the tree and there's an increased risk of transplant shock/failure. Rhyleysgranny's answer is spot on should you decide to go ahead. Can you not simply prune the tree in question to stop you knocking it when you exit the car?

8. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had a Kilmarnock tree in the front garden for about 13 years and I took it up last month this was a bigger job than I thoght it was about 6ft tall and a diameter of 4ft I cut all the branches to about 12-18inches so it looked like a mop head, Then the hard work began it took me 4hours to get it out and that wasnt all the roots if you are going to take it up be prepared for a bit of hard labour good luck

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mike, leave it where it is and give it a trim, or it will all end in tears.:gnthb:

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,965
    Sorry I'm not adding anything positive, I think all that has been said, good advice.:thumb:

Must say I agree with Quercus, never have understood how something like this can become so popular, other than they dont get very big.
    Nearly always look half dead as far as I'm concerned.:)

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh I don`t know. We have one that is grafted onto smaller stock than is perhaps usual. It sits on a curve and sweeps down onto the lawn. It`s about 2ft high, and for my little girl it`s the faeries party tree. She leaves them letters underneath it and the weeping branches keep the rains off off them. Nothing particularly positive, except for my daughter they are magic.

12. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you prune it, it will look even worse!

13. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    How so, Quercus?

14. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    :hehe: I've seen them pruned so badly and they look like umbrellas :lollol:

15. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ive got some customers who like that look :dh:

some people only see problems i see solutions what your all missing here is simple get a smaller car :wink::thumb: or park the other way around on the drive