kilmarnock willow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dbissett, Aug 16, 2010.

1. dbissett

dbissett Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we bought two kilmarnock willows last year and planted them in the garden but this year they have done nothing not even catkins. Can anyone help?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Dbisset If the 'dead' wood is totally brittle (i.e. snaps cleanly under a little pressure) then it is doing no good - so prune it out. I have seen several Kilmarnock Willows where the graft has failed, even after several years, and the top died over a period of 2 seasons. If you have new growth - take heart! Keep it well watered, give it a mulch and hope for the best - there is little in the way of pests and diseases that could be the cause really. Sorry not to be more positive. You can pollard it in the autumn to take the weight off the graft - then it has 2 chances! Good luck :)

3. dbissett

dbissett Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your help . I will go and do this now and get back to you

4. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Woo, If there is sign of new growth then it has a chance. I have been experiencing my first year with a Kilmarnock willow. I thought it had died, all the foliage had gone brown and to me looked totally dead...anyway, my Dad came to visit (much more green fingered than me!) and asked 'what are you doing with that', it was sat in a pot next to the compost. So, I said I was chucking it out as it had died....he snapped a bit off and it was green inside and so stuck it in a large bucket of water. He left to go home the next day, leaving me with the instructions of LOADS of water and re-pot. Its now got lovely long flowing branches and is very healthy.
    I guess the moral is ...... where theres a pinch of life dont give up hope!
    they seem to be sturdy things that will grip onto the last hope of life :)