1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

KIWI FRUIT

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 1happy chick, Mar 26, 2005.

1. 1happy chick

1happy chick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again me dears, bought a kiwi fruit plant at wilkos today it was the last plant on the shelf, and looked really healthy, with loads of good shoots on it, but i felt sorry 4 it being the only one on the shelf( i do this a lot youll find) trouble is i ahvent got a clue what to do with it!!! at the mo ive ive potted it on,in multipurpose compost and sat the little man on a shelf in me greenhouse! got any clues guys? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That sounds alright for starters, when its grown a bit more and the weathers a bit better it will be ok to find it a permanent place outdoors, they are hardy but I believe you need both female and male plants to get any fruit

they are fairly vigorous growers though, the one I had covered a wall in a few years

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Steve,

I *almost* bought a kiwi yesterday that is both male and female. �£6.95 and about 3' tall.

Nathan.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nathan, I didn't know they existed in that capacity but nothing surprises me

Went for a run along the canals this morning and among all the birds pairing up here and there were 2 drake Mallards having fun together :D

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add seriously, the one I had I grew from saved seed from a supermarket fruit, very vigorous and hardy, beautiful leaves and brown hairy stems and flowers too

6. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I believe most of the Kiwi's brought in the UK are of the self pollinating variety. I had one for several years at my old house growing against a south facing wall. It was really prolific producing several dozen fruit each autumn - mind you it needed cutting back every couple of years as it was quite a vigorous (and hardy) plant. I would try and grow it against a wall if you can, keep it well fed and watered and you should enjoy some lovely fruit...much tastier than shop brought! Good luck.

7. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    D you think they would be hardy enough to survive up here in Aberdeenshire? Id be keen to give it a go but it regularly gets down to below -10 here in winter. How easy are they to grow from seed? Did you dry it out before trying to germinate it or straight from the fruit?

8. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Mine was straight from the fruit and I would say they were hardy enough for Aberdeen

Steve

9. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok you have convinced me. I will let you know how i get on. I did avocado last year and got a lovely plant. Not hardy of course but worth doing for fun. My Granda planted some apple seeds for my sister about 25 years ago and they are still on the go. I remember how delighted she was at the time so I think its a nice thing to do if there are any children around. Anyone else had supermarket fruit and veg successes?

10. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Cloudy - have grown an apple from pip, now 20cm tall. Have grown ginger too (from supermarket root, makes a handsome plant, Cape gooseberries now grow like weeds in my garden, but never fruit + when I was a nipper grew an orange tree - it got quite big and we even got a fruit from it - about 5cm diameter, but it was mainly pith. The poor plant died when we left it outside too far into autumn. :( Would have another go, but am allergic! Know people who've sucessfully grown avocado , & pineapple - I was impressed, but prefer plants I can grow outside.

11. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I know its a bit obvious but garlic grows fine from supermarket cloves

If you try a grapefruit pip these sometimes flower as tiny plants

12. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So do spuds (not from garlic cloves tho!!!)

Just been looking at the pips & seeds thread - v interesting - what an adventurous lot!

13. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    what about Elephant foot ??

14. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Tried planting a tin of baked beans once.....no joy though! ;)

15. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    you have to shell em first [​IMG]