Kiwi plant

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by marge, Aug 26, 2006.

1. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a fantastic nursery in Hampshire today - Longstock Nursery near Stockbridge and they had the most amazing kiwi plant growing over a pergola - it was COVERED in fruit! What a lovely plant - great big leaves :D Never seen one before - anyone got one?

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Yep, I have one .... Actinidia Deliciosa 'Jenny'

Bought last year and it was only 3' high ....... It is now 9-10' high :eek: , I could ideally find it somewhere it can clamber where it wants .

They look lovely with the green foliage against the red stems.

No fruit on mine though ........ This year, hopefully next year ???

Nathan.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I just cut mine down by half as it was invading next door with avengence. :eek:

Nathan did you get anywhere with your cuttings ? I was thinking of taking some, starting again in a more suitable position and scrapping the mother plant.

BM [​IMG]

Marge, good alternative to the hop if you ever get bored of it. And it doesn't die right back either.

4. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We cut our kiwi down as it was over 50' and clambering down the electricty cable which supplies our electricity. Decided a blackout wasn't worth the 2 kiwi fruit it produced!

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Coo - sounds like Id better leave it at the nursery then Celia....dont think the trellis where the hops is would cope with it BM!! ;)

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi marge, yes mine was an impulse buy about 7 years ago and it can get big if you don't prune it regularly. I also have Actinidia kolomikta which seems to be much slower, but twice as beautiful ;)

7. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just looked that one up BM - youre right, it is beautiful! Havent got anywhere to put one so mustnt buy one - mustnt buy one - mustnt buy one.....says it grows easily from seed ;)