Knackered trellis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mrs cloudy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Ive just come home from work to find one of my trellises on the ground. It is old and pretty knackered but my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how i can save the old rose and honeysuckle that are growing through it? I really want to keep them if possible but dont see how i can disentagnle them.

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cloudy
    Any chance you could chop the trellis into bits around the plants - using a small pruning saw of even secateurs depending on the thickness of the wood? Other wise, its going to be a long & tedious process of untangling, or alternatively cutting right back (eek!) or using it as an opportunity to prune! All depends which you want to save more - the trellis or the plants! LOL

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The plants need saving. How much do you recon i could get away with pruning. Taking into account that these are really old plants and are newly leafy id guess that i dont really want to chop much off. It is still blowing a gale so i think this is a job for the weekend.

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could treat it as a "renewal prune" - where you "lose" at least third of the oldest growth to the base & and cut back the remainder to a third of its length (if that makes sense). Stay inside with a glass of something comforting until it "blows over" lol!