Knowing you onions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by wiseowl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Hi
    I want to try and grow some giant onions to enter my local garden show next year.Having never
    grown onions before is there any advice you can give me please.
    I believe you can sow the seeds next month sometime,and what named variety would be the best.Is possible to grow these in a raised bed 8ftx6ft.

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Try Robinsons of...is it Forton? You need the proper seed. I think theirs is called Mammoth. There used to be another big variety doing the rounds that many preferred.
    I used to sow mine in December and prick them out into soil blocks bedded on to peat, to reduce the shock to the system of planting out from pots.
    The onion section at the show is the most fiercely contested....and they don't take any prisoners!
    I don't think you would be able to grow enough in a bed that size. They need plenty of room and you will need to select atleast 3 that match. You need quite a lot of onions to get a set that match normally.

3. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Thanks JH
    Sounds like a bit of a challenge,I will dig a piece of my lawn up,and have a look through some seed catalogues.

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I used to grow Kelsae back in the eighties, found it bigger than mamouth from robinsons.
    Even so I never reached anything like the experts do, but it was only for fun, but they tasted good.
    Didn't keep that well though, had a tendancy to rot in storage.
    Good luck wiseoldowl, hope they remove the hosepipe ban by next summer, they need constant moisture for the early part of the year and a good drying off at the latter part of the summer.

6. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look on here

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/index.php

You may find some bit of interest. If you want to do it seriously (like I don't :D ) you need to sow your seed on CHristmas day (gets you out of the washing up) & then grow them on under lights. I usually let them take there chance but as Pete says , Kelsae are a super tasting Onion (especially fried with a sausage batch :D )

Marshalls so one called SHOWMASTER from sets that is supposed to be good, but be warned, it can be terribly contageous this showing Bug [​IMG]

7. Stroller

Stroller Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest way is to order some Kelsae plants which are delivered usually in April..Shop around though as some seem to ask silly prices..
    Look to be paying about �£5 for 40 plants ..Rake in some lime prior to planting them, onions like lime..Feed occasionally with a liquid feed tomato feed would do ..Expect onions up to 3lb in weight ..Not giants but a fair onion

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Thanks Everyone
    The christmas day sounds like a good idea (12 for dinner)this year.

9. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Great advice everyone,thanks.Ive been toying with the idea of "showing next yr too" [​IMG]

10. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My dad used to grow onions as big as footballs. I never saw the point of them, not exactly great for eating! I will find out what they were, though they were probably his own creation.

11. TG

TG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have read what the others have to say and agree with most of it.

This is how I grew mine; http://tinyurl.com/yzxd7y

Regarding the way champion growers grow them;

They will already have their seed sown and germinated by now and most likely potted on.

These will be in heated cabinets lined with tinfoil to reflect 24 hr lighting some try and replicate mid summer days i.e. short nights & long warm sunny days.

Just a point choose which way you adopt i.e. seeds / setts (and this applies to leeks as well) Always support the leaves. It is essential to keep them vertical and don't let them kink as this will ultimately affect the bulb size.

Personally I found growing a decent onion under 8oz more of a challenge, i.e. quality not quantity.