kodak camera problems

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by rosa, May 18, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi all, just been out to take pics with my kodak v1253 digital camera and ive a problem the zoom has stayed out and the scn button in blue is on, i cant get it to work anyone know what the problem is with it, this happened in december in thailand and i thought it was the heat obviously not crikey ive just had it just over a year.
    i have just taken the kodak digital battery out and back in and its started working again

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa,I can't help you with your problem but according to these reviews below your camera isn't rated very good so perhaps you might need to look at replacing it unless another member on here can suggest something to help with the problem.Having said that my first Digi Camera the Kodak EasyShare C360 iss till going strong after three years with no problems at all:)

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/kodak-easyshare-v1253_reviews.html

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy i havnt had it 2 years yet, this kept happening in thailand it just stopped and the zoom stayed out for a while then it was ok after a while. my sony did this also, it seems ok now but iff someone could suggest whats going on and why its doing this would very much appreciate it.
    my fuji ive never had this carry on its been a great camera big to carry around mind

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Rosa,if you read the reviews some of the people hadn't had their cameras for more than a couple of months when they started having problems.

Your Fugi cost more than the Kodak so should in theory last a lot longer,a bit like a Rolls Royce and a Mini you would expect the Roller to last longer as it is more expensive and better made:D

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy ive looked at that site and done my kodak review about this camera im really not very happy as i paid £179 for it, didnt think i would start and have these problems.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Rosa, I don't know anything about your specific camera model, all I can suggest is that your battery may be on its way out, if its a couple of years old it may not be holding its charge. My old Fuji freezes up with the zoom stuck out if the battery is not in tip top condition.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    JWK thanks you could be right about that as i got the battery with the camera when i bought it at pc world, the battery is a flat square one its a 3.7v rechargeable Li-Ion KLIC -7004, had this camera 1 year and 3 months

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My camera uses bog standard AA rechargeables (or even non-rechargeables if I get caught out).

That was one of my key model-choice criteria, I use my camera a lot for "just take 3 or 4 snaps and turn off" and its a big drain on power, and I just hate the brands that have "bespoke, fits my camera only, and you can't use ordinary batteries" approach.

Same with phone rechargers, I know they are have agreed to become universal, but for most of their mobile phone models Nokia have used the same bog standard recharger when everyone else had a recharger-fits-this-phone-model-only approach. Everywhere I went I could just use anyone's else's Nokia recharger. I never understood why a recharger needed more than two-pins, but I expect there is a good reason ...

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kristen i havnt got a charger for this camera for the battery charges inside the kodak v1253

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    So you have some adapter to plug the camera into the mains?

Sorry, sounds like I'm being picky, but it comes to the same thing - proprietary battery, manufacture of that battery limited to that brand (or perhaps, worse, to that MODEL) of camera, plus a few third party makers.

I think its scandalous that manufacturers would do that.

If the battery is fixed, and can't be replaced, that's even worse :( Bit like Version One of Apple's iPOD priority, factory-replace-only, battery, which turned out to have a very short life

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kristen i can take the battery out of the camera yet to charge it, it has its own adaptor plug charger that fits to the side of the camera

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    OK, but its a proprietary battery? (I mean, not an AA type, or somesuch common type?)

I'm not meaning to pick a fight, just having a rant that I think it is iniquitous that manufacturers tie customers in to bespoke batteries. I bought a my daughter a very petty shaped Olympus camera. Its a good camera, and takes nice pictures, but the battery is useless, proprietary, and I have to buy her a new one every six months because it is worn out by then. Not very green! I am on the same set of 4 recharageable batteries that I first got for my Cannon. I sometimes use another set when the originals are charging, but the orignals must have taken the lions share of my pictures. Checking my PC just now I've taken over 5,000 pictures with this camera!

I hope you can get your camera sorted out :)

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kristen the battery isnt an AA type its a square battery, i think your right i think these manufactures make everything and they dont last very long, funnily enough since i took the battery out and then back in it corrected itself seems fine for the moment, but i guess i might need to buy a new battery for it iff this keeps up

14. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Kodak C613 about a year ago, still learning about it and Extremely satisfied with it. I have very recently started doing Video's with it and they have proved to be pretty good quality.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi mikkel, havnt seen that kodak camera that you bought, i had problems earlier with it so ive charged the battery up, they reckon with these 12 mega pixels the batterys can go down quick so maybe that could be the problem at times