Laburnum near veg patch

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by TomatoLover91, Jun 16, 2024.

1. TomatoLover91

TomatoLover91 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have recently moved into a new house with a large laburnum tree in our small garden. There is a planter underneath the tree which can't be moved.

Would it be safe to use this planter for edible vegetables? It does get quite a bit of detritus (leaves, pods) falling in from the tree above. They are easy enough to pick out but I'm not sure if anything leeches from the organic laburnum detritus as it breaks down? I've heard in recent years it is not believed to be as poisonous as once thought but would be interested to hear people's thoughts please.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    I wouldn’t, personally, worry about it. The only drawback might be the amount of light if the tree is casting shade on that side. Although having said that, leafy vegetables ( where it’s the leaf or root that you harvest) will cope with some shade.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      I wouldn't worry about it either, just don't eat the laburnum seeds. I would try and pick up as many seeds as possible, but that's to prevent a forest of seedlings, not because of the toxicity.

• Agree Agree x 2