laburnum tree problem

Discussion in 'Trees' started by [email protected], Jun 15, 2008.

1. barbhughes10@yahoo.co.uk

[email protected] Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought a laburnum tree about four years ago, its been doing ok since it was planted out and it gets a few blooms each spring but this year there is nothing!!!

No blossom, no leaves only buds that have failed to open. Has anybody any idea what the problem may be? I did notice a few weeks ago that there was a snail on the trunk which i removed , and i regularly check to see if there is any more snails or anything which may be causing the problem.I'm afraid its been left to it's own devices, it's never been pruned or fed.
    Its situated in a north westerly elevated garden in cumbria and has a few smaller shrub bushes next to it which seem to be ok .

barbara

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    If its not got leaves by now, my guess would be that its dead.
    The flower buds may have been its last attempt before giving up the ghost.

Snails love laburnum, but they dont kill trees.

Could it have got water logged last year or through the winter?

3. barbhughes10@yahoo.co.uk

[email protected] Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete,
    Thanks for your quick response No i dont think its been waterlogged if anything quite the opposite the soil in that part of the garden is very free draining with it being on a hill, the bottom a part is quite wet though.

4. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    We had one a few years ago which came with the site I live on. It suddenly died after being a very fine specimen for a lot of years. I think it got a disease.

5. onecoldcamel

onecoldcamel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Barbara,
    We bought and planted a laburnum in our garden four years ago and are still waiting for the first flowers. It is definately alive, but the top is bare and seems to be getting eaten though we can't see any signs of predators. We've had dozens of snails on the tree but, like you, we just pick them off - they don't seem to be doing too much harm. We've just bought some "bug killer" which is going on the tree tomorrow - I'll keep you posted!
    Dave