Lady In Black Fuchsia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, May 17, 2013.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +280
    Hi All. I purchased Lady in Black plugs which are growing nicely.I know they are not climbers like sweet pea or clematis as they do not have tendrils but are still supposed to grow tall.My problem is how to pinch out.Easy with a bush fuchsia as the object is to make it just that,bushy but not sure what to do with the L.I.B . Do I still pinch out the main stem and let the side shoots give it height or let the main stem just grow taller ?
    I do not know if you can see from photo but the plant is about 1 foot tall now and some time ago I did pinch out the left hand stem when it was about 6" tall but it has not stopped main stem gaining height so I am at a loss as to best way to proceed.
    Thanks
    lady in black.jpg

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,518
    Is it like Lady Boothby? I would be inclined to remove that r/h side stem in its entirety. Are you aiming for a single stem or a standard type of look?
    Jenny

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    This is it, Jenny. A very nice looking plant.:snork:

[​IMG]

4. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,518
    Very stunning colour combi...:dbgrtmb:
    Jenny

5. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +280
    Thanks for your input Jenny. I do not want a standard type look with a bare stem and flowers at the top. Having said that I only wanted to see what L.i.B grew and looked like. Had to purchase 6 plugs so I could just for sake of seeing what happens train one plug as a standard and see what happens. As for the others I suppose really a tall bush look would be what I hope to achieve.