Landscaping fabric......recommendations please.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BigBaddad, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BigBaddad

BigBaddad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

can anyone suggest a good land scaping fabric, to be topped with gravel.

We've a new house and the front garden is small and mostly uncultivated. I put in a holly hedge and 2 Crab apples (John Downie). We have a pile of gravel on the drive, ordered too much. I just want a quick fix to tidy up the front whilst I get stuck into the rear. I have a lot of treated 1x4" gravel boards (was timber to brace the roof) and tile batterns to create a few boarders, but want something to put on the bare soil beneath the gravel.

Cheers.

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have used Plantex soil membrane
    http://horticulture.taylorschoice.co.uk/products/138012_plantex_soil_membrane_1m_x_14m.php
    Don't get the cheap stuff that looks like polythene - it will be a waste of money and gravel. The Plantex I have used has lasted a long time. In my garden it was OK until I got a labrador. In 5 minutes he pulled half of it up.
    I have used it at my in laws on a herbaceous border. I dug it over and then cut slits to plant the plants through. Covered with a thin layer of bark mulch and there has been minimal weeding in 3 years. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Just make sure you remove all perennial weed roots before you put it down.

3. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The woven stuff is much more effective than the spun fibre matting and will prevent most perennial weeds growing through.
    It's sold under various names Phormisol, Mypex or Terram ( although this used to be white matting for under motorways )
    It does come in various weights ( g/m 2 ) so check that when comparing prices

I find it very important to secure the edges and usually make a slit trench with a spade and push the membrane in.Once one side is in, it can be tightened on the opposite side.
    Overlaps can be held down with plastic pegs or wire staples.
    Good luck with the project

4. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0