Lanky Lavatera

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ennnceee, Jul 14, 2015.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea. When is this wind going to die down?!

I am weeks if not months behind in potting on some Lavatera that are in flower, but have become tall and devoid of leaf. I don't suppose cutting back will work at this stage, will it?

Thanks...

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    The wind is almost permanent here this year too ennnceee. :doh:

Is it the wind that's the problem for your potting on and are the Lavatera the full size ones or dwarf?

3. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    No, not the wind, just I let them go in the pots I bought them in and they've become lanky and fairly leafless, but flower is a lovely dark purpleish (I'm sure there's a better word!) colour. Full size, but around 18" now, I guess. Just wondering if I let them get on with it, or whether they would take any pruning at this stage. A bit quieter here this morning.

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    They may have lost their leaves because they need feeding. If they were in multi-purpose compost the nutrients are used up after approximately six weeks. Do you intend to plant them out because they sound as if they are ready for that? Meanwhile I think I would take a couple of inches off the top and that will induce them to branch out. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
      +68
      Will do, and thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1