Laptop Battery replacements ?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ricky101, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi All,

I know its said when replacing a laptop or phones batteries always go for the original makers as there a a lot of bad copies.

Needing one for our old Toshiba L300 seems they are around £80+ for a genuine (?) Toshiba one, but surely there must be some decent quality non Toshiba ones around ?

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,886
    Yes - a lot of the generics are equally as good, providing you buy from a relatively proven source (as in, not some love-you-long time Chinese site); the risk with generic batteries is that they might not have charge/over-current protection, which then makes them lethal. However, what most people don't realise is that regardless of the shape of the battery, it actually contains a number of 18650 cells, and it is likely that they each have the relevant circuitry.

You could Dremel your current battery open and replace all of the cells, but by the time you have bought half a dozen 18650 cells, you would be as cheap (and easier) going for something like this DTK one

I used a DTK batter for my HP laptop many years ago, and it lasted fine; more recently, I bought one of their camera batteries for our 'old' camera, and again it has proved to be just fine.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi FC,

Thanks for that, thought there must be some reasonably safe ones out there.
    Seems they do a higher value one for just £3 more.

Feedback a little mixed with quiet a few 1* 7% reporting failures in a month or two, not sure about the guarantee when its a China seller , fulfilled by Amazon, though would think they cannot escape the warranty if Amazon are in control ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,925
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,886
      As with all electronics, there is always the risk of a DOA - with these it is almost certainly going to be a poor connection internally which causes the early failure. Amazon won't muck you about though - if it is faulty, they will take your case up in the event that there is any nonsense with the seller.

Also, don't forget, that people who have had a failure are significantly more likely to post a review than those who have received the goods and have used them without issue.

• Like Like x 1