Large Dahlias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by barryk1, Jun 25, 2010.

1. barryk1

barryk1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw some in a Garden and the were about the size of dinner plates , any idea what variety they could be
    Baz

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Barry - I wouldn't know about varieties - there are an awful lot.

But I understand that if you cut off the leading buds, you will get a smaller bushier plant with a large number of smaller blooms. But if you cut off the side buds you will get a small number of much larger blooms. And presumably, if you are exhibiting, you cut off all the side buds and just get one huge dinner plate. Feeding can make a lot of difference too, and watering. My book on Dahlias says they need the equivalent of 40 inches of rain during the growing season. That's more than the annual rainfall needed just over the growing season. So you should keep watering them, even when its raining. :D

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Hi!

if you want to grow dahlias, you are better off trying the medium sized flower type!

The dinner plate size ones are fine with no rain or wind, get those two and the flowers are top heavy, and the plants keel over!

I have some medium sized ones in my allotment, with having no rain for yonks, they are growing up straight, but they will have to be staked as soon as they start flowering and the wind and rain comes!

Cheers!

:gnthb:

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi BarryK1 They are actually known as Dinner Plate or Giant Dahlias,not to difficult to grow,There are many types of dahlias, from cactus to decorative, collerettes to giants. :)