Laurel Hedge - Dying At One Side

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by cwcw, Mar 18, 2014.

1. cwcw

cwcw Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help with this problem please? I am not much of a gardener.

I have a privacy hedge which is an established laurel hedge, around 5ft tall and quite thick. I believe it was planted around 5 - 6 years ago.

Last summer, one part of the hedge did not grow like the rest, and the leaves started to fall off it more than usual and go yellow. Over the winter this has progressed and there are now some bald branches, more yellow leaves and lots of brown holes in the yellow leaves. There are still some leaves that are green in the same section, and new growth has started too. The rest of the hedge still all looks healthy. I have checked the branches for cankers (as I did think it sounded like bacterial canker from reading online) but there is nothing obvious to me, and no leaking sap, the branches and trunks just look the same as on the healthy sections but with fewer leaves, if any.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to save this section of hedge, or at least stop it spreading further? Another thing to mention is that the section with the symptoms is next to a driveway that was heavily gritted last winter, so not sure if salt could have got into the soil and had some effect?

Thanks for any help and advice.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Welcome to GC Cwcw. :)

It's difficult to identify problems without seeing them, is there a chance you could upload a picture or two please.