Laurel Hedge yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Julie86, May 11, 2022.

1. Julie86

Julie86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

We planted some Cherry Laurels last September. We check and water them weekly, and have been pruning at the appropriate moments to encourage bushy growth. We used fertiliser when we planted them, and again this Spring.

However recently (April/May) we have been getting quite a lot of yellow leaves with dots on them (see the photos). Some bushes in other locations in the garden seem fine and very green.

Would appreciate any advice as to what we should do to improve this?

Attached Files:

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Laural is generally considered a tough evergreen but its leaves can be affected by diseases. But it looks more to do with environmental factors, which can be remedied by paying close attention to watering, not over watering ,drainage and shelter also it can be caused by nutritional deficiency particularly iron
    But i wonder If you take the bad leaves off what will happen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      New growth is looking ok atm so personally I wouldn't be too worried.

I get the feeling that the yellow ones will just drop off fairly soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,628
        Some yellow leaves are normal for Cherry Laurel. Usually appear around this time of year when there is a spurt of new growth.

If one bush looks paler than the others - then this can be remedied by a boost of Nitrogen feed - sulphate of ammonia will do the job - it's cheap and readily available.

From my experience - water for the first year - and then let them crack on alone. Regular watering encourages the roots to stay put - they are reluctant to grow down into the soil because all the water they need is on the surface.

As pete has said there is nothing wrong with your Laurels - don't panic - give them a boost of nitrogen and ease off the watering.

:smile:

• Like Like x 3