laurel hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nickring, Mar 15, 2011.

1. nickring

nickring Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a laurel hedge that is about 10foot high. I would like to cut it back to about 6 foot. What time of year is best? I would like to do it now. Thanks

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    Almost any time of year is good. Now is a very good time.

If you want to have it at an eventual height of 6ft you will need to cut it down to at least 5ft to allow fresh growth to come up. Otherwise you will have trouble keeping it at 6ft.

When reducing that amount of height the stems are likely to be quite tough and may need loppers or a chain saw (depends on how long you have kept it at 10ft). If they are that tough then cutting only to 6ft would mean that you can't get your hedge trimmer (or shears) into it unless you reduce it lower and let new young growth come up to the height that you want.

Good luck

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My preference would be in Winter, but I reckon now would be OK.

Personally I would only cut one side hard back and then wait a year, preferably two, before doing the other side.

Reducing the height could be done at the same time as the "width" on once side.

If you only need to do the height then get the choppers out and off you go :)

Don't use hedge trimmer / clippers on the leaves - those that you cut in half will go brown and then look a bit horrid. So if you can be bothered better to cut the stems with secateurs when giving it its annual haircut - you'll obviously need something more major (e.g. a saw) to go through the stems if you are taking 4' off the top.

I'd be inclinded to cut it 12" - 18" lower than the final height you want, so that the growth that comes back can then be trimmed at the required height - otherwise you'll struggle to get the right sort of growth pattern to maintain at the ultimate height. If you are just going to let it grow back to 10' and then tame it again in 3 or 4 years time then just chop it to 6'

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I used to have laurel hedges Nickring.
    I found you could cut them as much as you liked any time of year you liked and they were fine.
    I would agree about cutting them a good bit lower than the final height you want as the stuff grows so quickly it will be back to where it started before the year is over. And try to avoid cutting the leaves as they turn brown and look unsightly.
    If you have big branches and a fire laurel burns perfectly well.

5. nickring

nickring Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    t[size=small]h[/size]ank you all for your advice - very [size=small]h[/size]elpful