Laurel hedging

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Saul, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Saul

Saul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I planted some Laurel Hedging last year to screen a fence. I invested in some good plants and spaced about 3ft apart as per most recommendations.

I’m pleased with the height I got but there appears to be some obvious gaps where I would have liked it to have joined up a bit more. Is it worth buying a few more younger plants this year to fill some spaces or is this likely to damage the roots of the established ones?

Also, while your looking at the photo, any ideas why I have a yellow line in my lawn?

thanks.

Attached Files:

2. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    Good choice - cherry laurel - funnily enough I've just ordered 20 to plant up at the allotment - and have a fair few at my own garden.

I'd leave as it - but trim off the top of each plant - to encourage growth lower down the stem.

Common mistake is to wait until the hedge gets to the height you want and then trim it. If you do this it will take an age to fill in the lower parts of the plant.

So in a nutshell - trim the top now - and only when you are happy with the density of the hedge do you let it grow to height.

You will know that cherry laurel grow quickly - so you won't have to wait too long for the height you want.

The yellow line - I've seen this before - below it was some kind of utility pipe - it looks nice and straight so this is my bet. Apply some high nitrogen feed to green up the grass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Saul

Saul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks, that’s really helpful.