Laurel leaf black tip

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Carl Tobin, Aug 1, 2024.

1. Carl Tobin

Carl Tobin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a variegated laurel hedge planted about two years ago and growing well. However it produces black tips to some, not all, of the leaves. The soil is well drained and I have treated with good compost, fish blood and bone and bonemeal and have also treated with a copper based spray (on advice from friend) but am still getting a few leaves with black tips every day. I’m picking the leaves and binning them. Any suggestions please.

Attached Files:

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    Hi @Carl Tobin - that just looks like an airflow problem more than anything else. I sometimes see it on specimens round here if they're crowded.
    Not much you can do other than carry on removing and binning the foliage - which is the right place for it, and ensure the ground is in good health, and isn't dried out too much. Regular mulching after good rainfall will also help the soil, if you can manage that.
    The variegated ones cope better with very dry conditions than the standard green variety, but they also tend to get that kind of problem, especially if it's a hedge rather than an individual specimen. It's why it's not as popular for hedging as the plain one too.

3. waylannder2002

waylannder2002 Apprentice Gardener

transport
    Ratings:
    +22
    Black tips on laurel leaves can be caused by root damage, overwatering, or physical damage. Since your soil is well-drained and you've added nutrients, it might be worth checking for root bound or pests like aphids or spider mites. Also, copper-based sprays can sometimes cause leaf tip burn. Try reducing watering and inspecting the roots.

4. waylannder2002

waylannder2002 Apprentice Gardener

transport
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Carl, sorry to hear about the black tips on your variegated laurel hedge. I agree with fairygirl that airflow might be an issue, but it's also worth checking for root damage, overwatering, or pests like aphids or spider mites. Try reducing watering and inspecting the roots.