Lavender - help!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by RobynneFaye, Apr 10, 2015.

1. RobynneFaye

RobynneFaye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone - hoping for a bit of help.

I'm new to gardening but loving it.

I've inherited a beautiful farm house garden that is just a little bit overgrown. There are some lavender plants that I think are a little overgrown. Is it too late to prune them? They ain't flowering yet but everything I've said says early spring and late summer after flowering.

I want to make them bushier and I'm scared if I don't cut them back they will grow even more out of control.

Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Robynne. :) The problem with Lavender is that it tends to grow very woody after a few years and if you cut back into the woody stems it tends not to re-grow. All you can do is give it a light trim on the softer stem tops. However, cuttings are easy to root if you would like to start those off for planting out next year. Pull some of the younger shorter stems off gently against the way they are growing and they will come off with a 'heel' where it was joined to the main stem. Dip the bottoms in rooting powder and pop them into some small pots of moist compost. they may look a little limp for a while but should pick up and start to create roots in a few weeks. Grow them on until they are large enough to plant out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
      Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • RobynneFaye

RobynneFaye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      thanks for your advice! I will try growing from cuttings as I would like some more in my garden too!

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply very appreciated!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,892
        You're welcome Robynne. :) GC is about helping and picking up knowledge from each other, we never stop learning as gardeners.

• Agree Agree x 1