1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn advice - can this be saved?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by tomhorn3r, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tomhorn3r

tomhorn3r Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

It would be great if I could get advice on how to rectify some problems I am having with a lawn I had laid last October. I am really concerned about the state it is currently in, but i'm unsure what to do next.

I had no part in the preparation or laying of the turf but have since become concerned that it hasn't been carried out correctly.

At first, I noticed it start to thin at the far end of the garden, now, it seems that there are bare patches developing throughout, with some areas being a lot worse than others.

From inspecting the grass I can feel that the soil feels moist, and have tried seeding and feeding but after a couple of weeks i'm a but stuck with where to go next.

Attached are a few pictures, if any other information is required then let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,597
    Hi @tomhorn3r and welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016: - I am no lawn expert, but I would say that you are in with a good chance of sorting things, purely based on my own experiences.

It is a wee bit early yet for laying grass seed - wait until the night temperatures are up to a minimum of 10ยบ before you will have a chance of grass seed germinating; the current lack of warmth (although it has been quite nice this past week or so) will also go some way to explaining your problem - if there is too much moisture, that will encourage the likes of moss and weeds, which in turn will force the grass to compete for space -- as your lawn was only laid last October, it is very much early days though, so this may well not even be a problem just yet.

I would be inclined to give it a very light cut (keep that mower fairly high, so as not to scalp the lawn) and then wait to see how it does over the next week or so. Once the night temps rise, mix some grass seed with compost and then sprinkle that over the lawn, focussing on the patchy bits, and then give it a couple of weeks to germinate. You might want to put up some sort of bird scarer to keep them away from your seed (I use strings with bits of tin foil that flap about in the breeze). I would steer clear of feeding it until your new seed really finds its feet, and you know where you are with the lawn.

Having said all that, one of the grass gurus may well follow on from this post and tell you to ignore me completely! :biggrin:

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      @fat controller - some good advice there mate :dbgrtmb:

@tomhorn3r - it looks as though the grass, particularly around the edges could've keeled over because of poor drainage, thus causing the roots to rot away.

It may be worth contacting the people who laid the turf and tell them you're not happy with the job to see if they offer any warranty. But, even if it is re-done, the same issue could arise in the future if poor drainage is a problem.

It looks like the grass is surrounded by way built from railway sleepers (or similar heavy duty wod)? If the sleepers/wall are buried deeply, they'll increase water retention and prevent water from draining away. In pic 1, the soil on the left looks dry as a bone.

I'd put the spring tine rake (in pic 6) aside for now unless moss or thatch are present (which neither appear to be an issue). If you decide to continue seeding by yourself, rake the seed gently backwards, forwards and sideways just a couple of cm at a time with a soil rake rake to help move it under the soil. A top dressing to stop the birds eating it or the sun baking it, particularly in the barest areas is ideal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • tomhorn3r

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for taking the time out to reply @fat controller and @Mowerman - :) Appreciated!

The sleepers you can see in the pictures used to form what were two raised flower beds. Last Autumn I had them removed (to have the turf laid) and used them instead to form a border along side of my garden.

There is actually another row of sleepers below those you can see, which are dug out and laid level with the lawn. The soil to the left of the sleepers is what was removed from the raised beds (I haven't yet done anything with it) and is fairly dry and compacted.

I have forked the turf over the past weeks in order to try and diagnose the problem myself, albeit with my limited knowledge, but in places I noticed the ground just below the turf was very hard. I have also cut the grass twice since laying, with the most recent being around 3 weeks ago.

So what you seem to have correctly determined from the pictures is that the sleepers are preventing proper drainage of the lawn? It also seems to me that the ground was not properly prepared prior to laying the turf.

If all of the above is true, is the lawn in its current state beyond repair? It still seems to be growing in 75% of places, but I am concerned that all my efforts to seed and grow the rest may be wasted if the lawn itself has not been prepared properly in the first place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,597
          If the ground is hard, that suggests that the ground is compacted - when you say you have forked the turf, do you mean aerated it by sticking a fork in and giving it a good wiggle before moving on a few inches? It is definitely too early in the year to be getting a true picture of the overall health of your lawn - - give it a few weeks, let the temps rise a bit more and then we can go from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • tomhorn3r

Ratings:
            +1
            Morning!

Yeah I have been over it a few times with a fork, the first few inches of turf are soft enough, but then it seems to reach a really hard section which takes quite a bit of effort to get the fork into. I gave it a good wiggle too!

Thinking back to when the turf was laid, there was a considerable gap between when the sleepers were removed and soil dug out, to when the turf was laid. Perhaps when they came back to lay the turf the soil had become too compacted and wasn't dug out again.

I had hoped for a nice lush lawn come spring / summer but I am a long way from that at the minute :mad: I'm stuck between wanting to rip it up and do the job myself (at greater cost) or try and salvage what I have.

I am happy to take your advice and give it a chance. I think I have become worried because I have seen the grass deteriorate over the autumn / winter with no sign of improvement - yet!

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,597
            Welcome to the world of gardening - if you are not worrying about something not looking quite right, or having deteriorated over winter, then you must be asleep :biggrin:

I spent a vast amount of time on my lawn year before last, taking it from being rock hard, patchy and full of thatch to looking half decent. Sadly, it got a bit neglected last year, and we are pretty much back to square one.

I certainly wouldn't be ripping up what you have at the moment - doing so would only guarantee that you wouldn't have a useable lawn this year; plod away with what you have, scarify it a bit and then over-seed it with a quality seed and compost mix :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              Can I post an answer to this in a couple of days time? I've accepted an invitation to a lawn seminar hosted by an agricultural university here. After that, I might just know what I'm talking about as regards lawns...:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                And now I have spent two days on the lawn seminar....To say the least, I did learn a lot. I'm just not sure how much applies to the UK...:dunno:

Edit: The comment regarding how much applies to the UK is a serious one, nd not meant in any way to be funny. The local climate means that certain things that would be considered correct lawn management here would probably be most unsuitable for those that live in warmer parts.

• Funny Funny x 2
                  Last edited: Apr 15, 2017