Lawn area on slope, guidance/ideas needed.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Leafylearner, Aug 19, 2024.

1. Leafylearner

Leafylearner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    "This is my garden. There are many like it, but this one’s mine.

Sloping garden
    As you can see from picture one (9458), it slops from next doors garden. As you can see from picture 2(9461) the old owners way of keeping it held back.

I was think of putting sleepers in but as it’s 20 meters long and 85cm high, it would cost a £££.

I do want to remove the beds and level the garden as my garden is sloping to the right (but the hedge hides that effectively). Also removing the beds would make it look wider. As I think the beds make it look smaller and thinner. I want to keep it all grass (although it does get sun all day until 5pm) because as you can see from the 3rd image (9472) I have enough plants, again none planted by me, just maintained. But i was thinking of using the top half as a veg patch maybe?

Any ideas, suggestions would be great as I’m not set on the above it’s just my current thoughts. The last 2 images show the beds close up.

Thanks.
    LL
    IMG_9458.jpeg IMG_9461.jpeg IMG_9472.jpeg IMG_9459.jpeg IMG_9460.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2024
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,932
    Well, if you want it level right across surely you will need some way of retaining the soil in the neighbours garden?
    Sleepers would work, but the fence could be replaced with high concrete gravel boards, but again not cheap.

The cheap option is what is there now I'm thinking:scratch:

3. Leafylearner

Leafylearner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I think you’re right, I was wondering if I could reduce that maybe or stagger it? The fence is the neighbours who want keen on changing it so maybe I grow a hedge. lol.

if I do use sleepers, I could potentially use the soil to help level the garden? I suppose I’d have to replant new grass seeds?

4. Welshman

Welshman Gardener

Ratings:
    +554
    Rather then sleepers. Drive some 4x4 posts in down the bottom, then secure 6x2s across them to help retain the soil…….put in the 4x4s at every 1mtr for extra strength.

fill it with gravel first for drainage as to not retain water and then top off with soil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,388
      As @Welshman says, posts into the ground [you can concrete them in] and then decent quality timber screwed on. I would line it all with plastic to help prevent more rapid deterioration, but that will also depend on how wet your conditions are. You can add a broad, flat coping 'edge' to the top which will finish it off nicely, but will also double as a seat.
      You only need basic DIY skills to do it yourself, and there are lots of ready made mixes for posts which also helps.
      Use heavy weight timber though, as that will also be better, and make it slightly higher than you think is ok, because that's always better if you have a hedg or any planting in there.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      If you want area for veg, consider constructing raised bed(s) across the slope as terraces, aim to get average of 250-350mm soil depth, cut the turf and use to form lower edge as if a wall.Drive chestnut stakes (40mm dia) to 'nail' it in place. You will be able to introduce (good )topsoil and organic matter to achieve growing space. Avoid the area with proximity to the hedge. I would cut roots along and prevent feeding the hedge. Do not undermine the upside neighbours bank but its not your problem if it slumps naturally.