Lawn care please!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by caroljaye, Jul 9, 2010.

1. caroljaye

caroljaye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :flag:Hello out there!
    What can I due to get my grass greener? I water regularly and sprinkle lawn care granuales, but it doesnt make the difference that they say it is supposed to! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated please!

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) Hi Carol,if it's any consolation ALL lawns are struggling at the moment with constant high temperature and no rain,but dont worry yet,when we have some proper rain as we invariably will ,it will be ok, you seem to be doing all the right things.

3. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    The key is to having good, well drained, nutritious soil and proper cutting. No time at the moment but a quick couple of things you can try which will help all year round and especially in drier times.

If you can, set the height setting on your lawn mower higher. A one centimetre height difference leads to a bigger, stronger, more drought resistant and all round healthier plant. This helps the grass plants crowd out any weeds and the more grass there is in the lawn the more evaporation is thwarted. Over time a tired lawn originally cut too short will turn into a lush, fluffy green carpet.

To thicken the sward and keep it growing evenly cut in different directions. Cut 1, top to bottom, cut 2, right to left, cut 3, bottom to top and cut 4 left to right.

Hope that helps for now.