lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by carolla1, Apr 4, 2009.

1. carolla1

carolla1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have any members advice on stopping dog urine making the lawn go brown.Reading a book on practical uses for vinegar it states that putting a few drops of vinegar in the dogs drinking water should eliminate this.Anyone anyideas on the matter and if so which vinegar .Ihave had good advice from everyone so far so look forward to hearing fromyou .Thanks Carolla1 Leicester.

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure about vinegar, I've not heard of that one!

When I had my dogs, I always gave them some tomato, because apparently, something in the tomato reacts with the urine and stops the brown patch effect.
    I had a boy and girl, and it seemed to work with both, and I used to give them tomato in various forms. Sometimes raw, sometimes cooked in a sauce, like bolognese sauce. They used to love most fruit and veg, so it wasn't a problem them eating it.

I worked in a garden where they had a girl dog, and the owner was forever going out with a bucket of water to 'dilute' the urine!

Hope this Helps!

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Tomato Sauce! Wev'e just laid a new front lawn, so im trying the tomato sauce in the dog food method :) Because a Bitches wee is acid, the sauce is alcaline, so it dilutes the acid, Well Something like that...

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Good for hair that has turned green swimming often too ... :)

Pouring water on the spot (just after the dogs wees) is good, but not much help if the dog is out there unattended / unwatched of course.

My lawn gets patches like that in the Spring, from Winter peeing, but they clear up as the grass starts growing. My dogs are trained not to use the main lawn, but like all my dog training its only partially obeyed!