Lawn cutting with naturalised crocuses...

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Mike Graham, May 26, 2013.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone!

This is the first year that our naturalised crocuses and the lawn above them have grown together (lawn went down late spring last year after crocuses had died back), and the lawn is now getting quite long, approx. 30cm in length, and the crocus leaves are a mixture of partially died back, and totally green.

What is the happy medium for cutting the lawn, and keeping the crocuses happy? I don't want to damage the lawn really, but I'm assuming I should cut on my mowers highest setting and its still going to look a little rough for a couple of weeks?

Pretty sure someone will have had this before. Let me know whether to cut or not, if I'm good to go, i'll get it mowed tomorrow :-)

2. Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    If you want to keep the bulbs healthy year after year you need to let them die back naturally after building their bulb reserves. This mean not mowing them at all until June / July, or you'll find that they'll come up blind or not at all. Just let it go to meadow, and avoid it until ready.

Bulbs or lawn. You can't really have both.

3. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the info, I thought that would be the case, meadow it is then! :-)

How would you go for the first cut when the time is right? Mower has plenty of settings, I think 70 or 80mm is the highest it goes.

4. Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    You'll probably need a scythe!